Oh My Heart Sank...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChickenCrazed, Jul 29, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazed

ChickenCrazed Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    ...when I looked out my back window and saw a pile of feathers...UGH....I ran outside and searched and searched...I counted all of my hens that were out free ranging and I saw them all...When I took a closer look I saw my Light Brahma hen with only one tail feather...I called her over to me and she came right up to me and let me pick her up...She has two large gashes on her body under her wing and one big open hole in her back side close to her leg...I worry about that one more than the two gashes...She also has a couple of puncture wounds...All of her tail feathers are gone except one!

I cleaned out the wounds and packed them with neosporin...I put her in a crate, gave her some fresh water and scrambled up some eggs for her along with some feed...She ate the whole plate...She seems to be doing rather well for having had such an ordeal...

I have no idea what it was that got her...I would have thought if it was a dog it would have gotten to some of the other 11 hens that were outside with her...Any guesses on what may have done this?...My husband is thinking a cat?

Should I put her on any oral antibiotics or injectable? If so what and how much? This is the first time I have had one of my girls attacked...My first reaction was to put her down but she is acting ok....I will see how she is doing in the morning.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  2. Silkie-lover33

Silkie-lover33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you hear any loud noises? It could have been a hawk.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    This little bit of your post actually tells a lot:

She has two large gashes on her body under her wing and one big open hole in her back side close to her leg...I worry about that one more than the two gashes...She also has a couple of puncture wounds...All of her tail feathers are gone except one!

Living in the woods in farm country with lots of predators I also think you are dealing with a hawk. The last I my list would be a feline. The wounds don't match.

Large gashes and puncture wounds tells me something with tallons was trying to grab it, including trying to grab the tail end as it was running away. A hawk will not only approach from the air. Once it's victim in down it will chase it by running after it and grabbing at the victim with one claw.

Sound like you did exceptionally well with the first aid end. My experience has been that chickens are very susceptible to skin infections from wounds. The Neo is a very good choice. I would keep a close eye out and maybe give it a rinse daily with some hydrogen peroxide and then Neo it again.

Best of luck in the care of you bird.

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    [​IMG]

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    I am so sorry. Now, do not use hydrogen peroxide on an open wound...it damages and destroys good tissue. Use a sterile saline solution or betadine..just keep it clean and the ointment on the wounds

Watch for signs of infection and if needed, then use penicillin injected into the breast muscle 1/2 cc for a grown Brahma...once per.day for 3 days no more than 4 consecutive days.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. tellynpeep

tellynpeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2008
    SW New Hampshire
    Could well be a dog. I've patched up many dog bite wounds on chickens. They will also pull out lots of feathers while attempting to grab them.
    The most recent was a coyote (I saw it and, yes it was a coyote and yes the bird survived!):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This hen is doing well 2 days later.
    Good luck with your girl!

7. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Thank you for your response...This helps a lot at reconfirming what my first thought was when I saw the scene and my bird...My first thoughts was it was either a hawk or a dog...There was a pile of feathers with a trail also...I also believe she was running away and something her by the tail end...Thanks so much!

8. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Thank you!

9. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Thank you for the info!...I am well aware that Peroxide will destroy good as well as bad tissue...I only use it for the first time and then follow up with a Betadine solution for the rest of the treatments...I will pick up some penicillin for her today!

10. ChickenCrazed

Aug 28, 2009
    Indiana
    Quote:Awe poor baby...Isn't it amazing how resilient these guys are!..Glad your bird survived!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by