Oh my holy goodness!!!!!!!

Chickobsessed17

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2015
Florida

I went to put new hay down in the coop and found that my bantam Cochin has been laying for weeks!!!!!!! Hidden in the hay!!!!

Last edited:
Lol, this happens a lot with free-range, you can get them to lay mostly in the coop by building more nest boxes of different kinds, when you make ones that they like, they seem to stop laying anywhere else.

The eggs are quite safe to eat especially if your not in the middle of summer where you are, but you should be careful. The float test is a great start and that tells you a lot. Next, when you want to use them, crack them just one at a time into a separate cup or bowl, NOT into your food bowl, NOT into a bowl or saucepan with other ingredients. This is because you want to look at them first and have a sniff too.

Good eggs will be firmer than old eggs. The egg-white of a supermarket egg, when you crack it open, is rather runny and watery because it is an old egg. Supermarket eggs pass the float test and are generally considered OK even though they are weeks old. See if your egg-whites are watery, if they are firm and the yolk is firm and round then it's a recent egg great for any kind of cooking. If they are watery, it is older. If they yolk is watery, then the egg is very old and probably should be thrown out. If it does not smell funny and it is cooked very thoroughly then it would suit someone who has not a lot of food and little choice. You have chickens so this doesn't apply to you, so throw out eggs that have watery whites and yolks, and FOR SURE THROW OUT any that have a foul smell.

1) Firm egg white, not runny. Firm round yolk, no smell = GREAT. FRESH
2) Runny egg white, firm round yolk = supermarket egg up to a few weeks old = OK
3) Runny egg white, runny yolk, no smell = CAUTION only if you are hungry AND cook it very well.
4) Runny white, runny yolk, smells = discard.
5) Blood vessels = chick has begun development. Developed eggs are a delicacy in parts of Asia, however it's not likely you'd want to eat them.

always learn how to work out if food is good or not. Don't just read the label. THERE ARE A LOT OF FOODS ON SUPERMARKET SHELVES THAT ARE NOT FIT TO EAT !!! They can make you sick, so it is better to learn what will make you sick, how it will make you sick, like upset tummy, or something more serious, that sort of thing. Learn that about all your foods. There are MANY foods that you can eat ten or twenty or more years after the expiry date on the label and they are perfectly safe, learn which ones and why. You can often shop and get things for almost nothing in BIG BULK because of expiry dates. I have literally hundreds of glass jars of very yummy high quality jam (you'd call it fruit jelly) which is excellent quality and taste and will last for many many years, but were cheaper than what empty jars cost. Better to be smart than stupid. Better to be healthy than sick. Better to have sense than dollars. Knowledge is free, and priceless.

Oh I did!!! My neighbor ate like six and said they are great also fed about 10 to the flock :). But thank you I'm super scared of food poisoning. The chickens actually gave my son campolobacter (spelling!?) back in June. I am allergic to eggs myself lol

Back
Top Bottom