Oh, My Husband...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Reyvaughn, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Oh, my husband is so... So... GRAH!

My husband went with a school friend of mine to help work his livestock auction today. I was told it was sheep, goats, cows and horses. Yeah, well, there was chickens and ducks, too. He called me and I told him I was only interested in some Easter Eggers to replace mine that I had to euthanize due to an illness (cocci/enteritis related), but I wasn't anxious to get any chickens right at this moment. I just enclosed a section of my barn for my new Wheaten Ameraucanas and I had to add hens that were quarantined for 25 days in with chickens I just got a week ago. I am not happy about it, but I trust the BYC member I got them from. I saw pictures of the housing they came from and pictures of them a month ago. I just hope my trust doesn't come back and haunt me... I combined them because I needed my small 6x8 coop my 2 Ameraucana hens were in for my broody Silkies. The chicks should be hatching in the next two days and with my broodies being bottom of the pecking order, I don't want to chance the lives of my chicks. So, I separated them and their 16+ eggs from the rest of the flock.

Back to my husband and this auction... He calls me and says our friend was stuck with 4 young pullets and they are RIRs. I said I may have been interested if I would have been able to be there and inspect them, but I didn't need anymore anyways. Well, my husband paid $5 for all 4 girls and brought them home. I am flipping out. I don't know where they came from, I didn't get to look them over and I have no place to put them to quarantine them! OMG this man doesn't think like I do. He gets them to my mom's and I open the first box and see they are Red Sexlinks. I had to borrow a dog crate to house them for now - and they are sitting in my yard because I have no place to go with them. I mean, I don't want them anywhere near my flock right now. Their 4 lives are not worth risking over 50 other chickens that I have raised or specially picked for breeding purposes. I just sold all but one of my Sexlinks (Pink has a special attitude I love and I couldn't part with her) and I am trying to weed out the breeds/hybrids I don't want wasting my precious coop/shed/pen space.

So far, they look clean of bugs. The one girl's wing is a bit messed up and I will have to inspect her tomorrow in the daylight. All four have trimmed beaks and are bigger than my RSL that is over 8 months old so I think they are more like a year+. They don't seem to be molting though.

This is why you don't allow your significant other go and buy birds when they have no knowledge of chickens.
    He even came home knowing I had no place to put them. I already have 3 (plus the seven Ameraucanas) in quarantine!
    I have 8 young chickens in my grow out dog run (needs integrated into the flock - been working on it) and 3 of my MFCs in a dog play pen in my yard so I can finish their coop this weekend.
    What was he thinking?

Edited to add...
    I got sidetracked... The point is, thanks to him, my management 'plan' has been disrupted and now I need to build and move chickens around. I wasn't ready to integrate some of my chickens yet, but now I am forced to.
    Moral is, if you can't quarantine, you shouldn't buy more chickens!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Quote:I know it sounds awful, but in the case with my husband, I am learning that when it comes to thinking, they hardly ever bother to do it.

3. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    While your husband may not have been thinking about it the same way as you...........he was likely just trying to make you happy, because he knows you like chickens.

I understand your point, but I also see his, seeing those pullets left behind probably tugged at his heart strings and figured you could give them a good caring home :)

my husband is like this. Nothing surprises me anymore, like the day he came home with a california king snake, I have a severe fear of snakes. I wasn't going to tell him to get rid of it when he was rescuing it from terrible living conditions.
    and I wasn't expecting him to use one of my replacement 6 foot by 5 foot thermal windows to make a huge glass and wood terrarium for the snake either. Terrarium looks great with an 800 dollar window, he was so excited to show me what he made, that I didn't have the heart to yell at him about using the replacement window (that was to be used to replace the cracked one that is currently in my dining room).

They may not think at times, but they had good intentions!!

Ema

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:I know it sounds awful, but in the case with my husband, I am learning that when it comes to thinking, they hardly ever bother to do it.

Hey, wait a minute. We're always thinking! It's just different from the way females think. After 47 years the Princess still does not understand - she just accepts, and I do the same. Reyvaughn, has your husband started on the new coops? [​IMG]

5. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    sounds like a communication error.

- He bought birds when you said no....or he had already bought them and then decided to call. "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to get permission"
    - Have you ever plainly communicated with him your plans? Or did you only think he understood?

Ether way he was trying to make you happy and messed up a bit.

6. Thomas423

Thomas423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Sounds like he needs to build you a new quarantine pen. That'll teach him [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  7. Nini

Nini Out Of The Brooder

I know it sounds harsh, but you can't have his disrupting your happy hen house. You have three choices.
    Cull Him
    Rehome Him
    or Stew Him.

8. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    [​IMG]

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Make him build another coop/pen! [​IMG]

10. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I can see my DH doing this...he knows I could never turn them away...hope you handed him a hammer and said time to get building [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by