OH MY.....I am elated, excited no I can't put it into words!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by honeydoll, Jul 31, 2010.

1. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    My broody hatched a clutch of eggs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yay, hooray. My first hatch, ever!!! I am so excited. Two hatched, one squished [​IMG] , and two more pipped, one zipped. Ok, I know I sound like a kid, but I am sooooooo excited. My broody has been broody for wuite some time so I thought I'd give her eggs and make her happy. She did it!!! I bougth two call ducks and a silke three weeks ago, so I thought I'd try sneaking them in with her in the middle of the night so she'd think her eggs just hatched. NOPE!!! She tried to kill them, chased them around the nesting box. So, got them out quick and into the brooder. Whew!! I was so worried when the eggs hatched she would kill the chicks, nope, she's being so good with them. Although she did squish one. Her nesting box is a nice size dresser drawer. Will she keep squishing them? Should I do something different? I think it was squished, it was flat, but it may have died on its own. It looked fine though. Oh geez, I have a thousand questions. Do I put them in a brooder, I have flock raiser, I know chick starter is better. And guess what, my son didn't notice she got out of the brooder area my hubby made, and then I took my boys to Day Camp. we were gone nine hours. When I came back I seen her trapped out of the brooding area and running back and forth the fencing to get to her eggs, my heart sank. I thought 9 hrs. w/o her and they were all dead. Can you believe it. After all that, they are almost all hatching. So now what? Do I leave them with her, put them in a brooder, will she crush them when she is over them. She doesn't want anyone near them but she is such a gentle hen, I just lover her, she growls a little but no pecking. For the record she is a partridge Chantecler, I reccomend these for anyone. They are so gentle, albeit a little shy. Geez, can you tell I am happy. Sorry to ramble, just thought the eggs would be dead after their ordeal, but they are almost all hatching. Ok I'm done, if the typing is all messed up forgive me. I feel like a silly school girl, but I just can't help myself. [​IMG]

2. honeydoll

honeydoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Stark County, NE Ohio
    [​IMG] Oh yeah, and when will they start eating? Ugh, my heads in the clouds. [​IMG]

3. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure that chick starter is available, and that their water tray has pebbles or marbles in it so that they are less likely to accidentally drown themselves. Sounds like Mom is okay with them, so it should be okay to leave her there, and it won't hurt her to eat chick starter as well. Congratulations on your brood! [​IMG]

4. joy

joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2007
    Lancashire England
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Congrats a very exciting time for the new mother [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by