Oh My what a move for the girls! **Pics**

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Okay, the girls pulled at my heartstrings this morning by running and bumping into the side of their plastic tote brooder...they looked like a bunch of criminals in solitary confinement. So, I moved them into new digs...meaning hubby gave up 1/4 of the living room.

The girls went from a 96 QT tote into a 6' diamieter octagon portable hot tub. Yes I sacrificed my hot tub. It is warm enough now that I can live without for until they are coop ready...or fall sets in. hahahaha

HPIM2494_editedSmall.jpg

The alarm girl...she refuses to perch anywhere but on the side...my SLW Speckles

HPIM2499_editedSmall.jpg

HPIM2503_editedSmall.jpg

Playing in their dirt:

HPIM2504_editedSmall.jpg

While I was outside dismantling the hot tub, I got buzzed by a neat critter...a brown bat! I scooped him up to check him out as it was very bright and warm outside. As soon as I touched its little back to check it, it took off. Still odd to be out midday:

HPIM2493_editedSmall.jpg

My DH actually helped me bring the hot tub frame inside and put it together....and cut the limg for their perch. He says he does not care about the girls but I know better! He is no longer greeting them by saying "good morning soon to be sandwich" he is now greeting them with "where are my eggs? Get busy with it."
lol.png
lol.png

Last edited:
What is up with the guys??
Mine is the same way!
I guess it has something to do with not showing their emotions for something so sweet and cute.
I would love a man that does show their feelings, thats a 'real man' imho

While I was outside dismantling the hot tub, I got buzzed by a neat critter...a brown bat! I scooped him up to check him out as it was very bright and warm outside. As soon as I touched its little back to check it, it took off. Still odd to be out midday:

Careful with the bats. There is some unknown disease killing off thousands of bats in the caves around here(at least I've read its only in the NE so far) They've been flying out of the caves all winter when they should be hibernating, and flying in the daytime as well. They've noticed a weird fungus on them, but don't know if its the cause or secondary issue.

Its disturbing with the bees dying off and now the bats.

Terry​

Ditto. I read about that, too. The scientists are thinking it is something environmental. Very scary as bats are beneficial for insect control and pollination. I hope that more and more people take action to improve our environment...

I also wanted to say what a great brooder! (my DH kicked me off the puter to write an important email)
smack.gif

One of my SLW's is the same way. The second I take the top off the brooder, up she comes to roost on the side. Funny girls.
D.gif

Terry

Yeah I read about the bats back East and it is so sad. Ours have just now starting coming out of hibernation...we saw the first ones the other night. I welcome them because they eat the mosquitoes and such. This one looked normal...no growth or fungus or anything...it was a very young bat. I just hope he made it home and gets his schedule straight. He was not happy to have the sun on him for sure and was disoriented poor thing, probably from bouncing off my shoulder.
lol.png
But he was flying really good when he left.
big_smile.png

Terrible about the bees. We have 50 hives when I was growing up and always had wonderful clover and orange blossom honey. Fantastic little critters bees are.

Last edited:
LOL hubby said "You want to put them in WHAT? :eek: I said I want to put them in MY hot tub. *snicker* I keep the tub at around 110 - 111 degrees and it is too hot for him to get in so it is MINE *smirk* Well, I am ordering faverolles and cochins next month for June delivery so...might as well have everything ready for the new girls .

Back
Top Bottom