OH NO! 2 skin thin eggs laid in one day to a new layer?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by metraideanne, Aug 24, 2010.

1. metraideanne

metraideanne Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    My hens are just starting to lay. I have 3 brown layers and 3 blue/green layers.

The BS has been laying since 8/16 (first egg found) I know because I have seen her go off to her 'nest' and found an egg after the song.

I have a RR who I think may have started laying around the same time or maybe started today.

This morning I found two eggs side by side, brown with thin skin like shells. I don't know which hen they came from. My hens have constant access to oyster shells so there shouldn't be a problem with calcium.

Maybe I am over reacting and the hen who laid these eggs is just finding her groove?

Any information you have would be very appreciated!

2. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    Since it's their first eggs I wouldn't be worried about it. Mine have done the same thing and they has access to oyster shell and a good layer pellet feed. Good luck

3. hensonly

hensonly Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    upstate NY
    Mine laid some thin shelled eggs early on, and have done it periodically since, but less often as they get older (they're two and a half). Might be it would have stopped on its own anyway, but I followed a suggestion of a BYCer, and gave them some plain yogurt for daily for four or five days, then three times a week for a week, then once or twice a week till my last container was empty. Within eight or nine days the thin shells had stopped, and I was getting two or three a day from a dozen hens. The next time I had one thin shell, I did the yogurt right away, and didn't have any more thin shells. I only did the yogurt for a week that time. I've done the same a couple more times and each time the thin shells stopped right away. Worth a try, yogurt is cheap and they love it! I get the plain, store brand, and make sure it 's got the live yogurt cultures, though most of them do anyway. Or you can make your own, do a search on BYC, someone has a recipe that's supposed to be easy and good.

Good luck!

4. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Like the others have said... don't worry , it will work out. Just new layers.

5. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    What the others said... Also, it is not unusual for any of my girls to sing the song without having laid an egg. Sometimes they set awhile, nothing happens, and they sing anyway. I think it is their way of alerting the rooster (who is currently non-existent) that they need to be taken to wherever the flock is grazing now. (Not so much an "I laid an egg," as "Okay, where is everyone?")

6. metraideanne

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    Thank you! I will try the yogurt, maybe the lactobactillis makes things more digestible. I already make my own yogurt so that will be great. Do you just give it to them a couple tablespoons each in a community bowl?

I just found a third egg broken with a thin shell so I'm a little concerned, I don't want to have this be a trend continuing on all month.

On the positive side the third egg was laid in the nest [​IMG]

I got rid of my roosters yesterday I sold them to a guy on KSL. I'm pretty sure my BS who has been laying a week misses their attention. I think she hoped I would help her out in that department. [​IMG]

7. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    They may be a little stressed also, since you got rid of the rooster. However it will all straighten out and you'll have wonderful eggs.

8. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    As for the yogurt just put some in a bowl (about a pints worth) and stand back, be prepared to laugh. Yogurt will be going everywhere. Mine absolutely love anything dairy, when I have milk that is to date I give it to them and it's a race to who can drink the most.

9. metraideanne

Jun 15, 2010
    Salt Lake City
    I put the yogurt in a shallow pan I got for oyster shell and put in a pint of yogurt. They really like the yogurt and get extra shell while they chow down. I got two eggs this morning both with nice hard shells!

Sitting outside now with my laptop watching scratching, dust bathing, and faux dust bathing.

Love my chickens!

10. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    [​IMG][​IMG] Yipee on the eggs!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by