Oh No! 3 out of 4 silky chics are roos!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by boxermom, Oct 4, 2010.

1. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Now what do I do? We process our extra Bo roos, but what do you do with silkies? I can't imagine keeping all 3 of them. I learned last winter that keeping too many roos is very hard on the hens. (some were accidental) I don't want to keep more than 2 roosters. Would a silky be considered in that catagory or are they too small that it wouldn't matter? I've never had silkies before and don't know how big they get. Mine are about 5 months old. 1 started to crow 2 wks ago, another last week and I'm waiting for the 3rd to start. [​IMG]

2. Drk_Wlf

Drk_Wlf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Chautauqua County, NY
    If they are standard sized you should still be able to process them, I have herd of it being done. [​IMG] but I am no expert, I don't know much about silkies.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  3. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Black silkie meat is sold often in Asian markets and is often used in soups where is is advertised as being "more nutritious" than other chicken.
    [​IMG]

4. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    I can sympathize with you.....I think 75% of the eggs I hatched this year turned out to be roo's....
    If you keep the roo's together, never separating them, the boys will get along fine with each other. If they're in with hens....who know?

5. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    I feel your pain, every silkie we hatched has been a boy and I really wanted a hen.
    If you want to eat the birds the others are right, I've seen them at the Asian market here too. If you can get past the weird color, they are still chickens (maybe make soup since they are small).

6. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    Thank you all for your replies. I don't know if they are standards or not. They came from the feed store. It's good to know we can eat them though. sgtmom52, those black birds are kind of disturbing... [​IMG]:) One of mine is black... [​IMG] Guess you never know until you try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by