oh no a roo!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kesta, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    i have a 10 week old br roo who has started crowing! funny thing is hes silent! its like someone hit the mute button! its just so funny to watch him go through all the motions of crowing with out a sound! [​IMG] well anyways if his silent crowing does persist and gets noise to it then looks like ima have to get rid of him! lol i just had to tell ya! do you think ill get to keep him in my neighbour hood? its not like hes disturbing the peace!

2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Silent roosters are never a problem. Never had one myself and all hit the road as soon as they violate our "don't ask, don't tell" policy by telling.

Yep, if you lived in my neighborhood, you'd be getting rid of a crowing rooster. A silent one even I could live with.

Wayne

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    if he STAYS that way,, i bet you could get ALOT of money for him $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

usually they will "find" their voices..

4. Kesta

Kesta Pie Crust Malfunction

Jul 31, 2008
    houston tx
    i sure hope not! i either wanna keep him and breed or sell him for a whooooooooollllllllllllllleeee lot of dough!

5. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I hope you get lucky and find that you have a silent roo, but that would really be the exception.

This reminds me of one of our cats, she goes through all the motions of whining and crying, yet nothing comes out. It is really funny and we nicknamed her "Silent Screams". Believe me, she isn't suffering or anything like that (she has done this for years and is very healthy) but she does it when she is looking for attention. She makes sure she is right in front of your face so you can see her!

Good luck with the roo! Genie

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

sure wish that my roo was a silent one! [​IMG] I just found him a good home when I went to our fair. I too live in a neighborhood, and he has sounded off more than once. [​IMG] Luckily though, no one has complained as yet. But as you know, you can't take the chance of someone calling animal control on us, right? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  7. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    When I said I never had a silent rooster, I should have added that I've never known anyone that did. Not sure such a creature actually exists.

Wayne

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by