1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

oh no!!! Chick pipped at the wrong end- is there any hope?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mothersin2ition, Sep 19, 2010.

1. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    My first silkie out of this hatch pipped tonight- at the small end.....is there ANY chance it can survive???

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It's not ideal, but the three that I've had do it all made it. I think most of the danger is over once they've pipped externally and can breath the outside air. Happy hatching!! [​IMG]

3. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    :hugsoooh I hope my little guy/gal makes it. Thanks for responding

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Don't give up. There is always hope.

5. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I kept hearing something in the bator and couldn't see any pips. Two days later I still heard it and pulled the eggs out of the cartons and sure enough one had pipped the wrong end of the egg, it wanted to live so I helped him out. He did great once he got out of that horrible old egg!

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    How's little wrong way doing this morning?

7. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    If he's still having trouble and is getting weaker, I'd consider helping the little guy out. Otherwise, I'd wait a bit and see if he's able to get out himself.

My thoughts are along the lines of if he's able to do it, then let him get out by himself. If you're going to lose him if you don't intervene, then what harm are you going to do? [​IMG] I actually cleared the pip hole so the chick could breathe and get out by himself. If the chick is having a really difficult time, that's when I would intervene. I know that's controversial, but that's what I would do. As usual, YMMV.[​IMG]

8. mothersin2ition

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    So this morning, he had pipped again, about 1/2" down from where he origonally pipped! Lol. He's alive and chirping away inside. I peeled a little bit of the shell away and moistened the membrane a little. At this point, Im going to give him/her another day before I intervene. Im not sure I can help right now because there was a tiny bit of blood where he re-pipped so I know the blood isnt all the way absorbed yet.
    On a good note, I have another one who pipped this morning [​IMG]. I'll keep you all posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by