Oh No! Daisy is MISSING. Support/crystal ball needed.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Annie75, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    I have 2 hens and as of last week 2 ducks . (I got Daisy, a snowy mallard a boyfriend, Donald).

They seemed to be getting on fine although she kept leaving him behind when she went thru her secret hole in the fence to the next door neighbour's bushy backyard. I had spoken with my neighbours and they were fine with her spending time there because their yard is fully fenced and they have, joy oh joy, two small ponds which she thinks is magic.

So yesterday I got home from work at 5pm and went straight down to see my little guys and NO DAISY. I tried everything. Normally if I call her she comes running especially if I use the 'treat' call. I searched everywhere. It's only Daisy that's missing. No evidence of any foul play but still no ducky. Also, normally if I want to know where she is during the day I call and she quacks back. Nothing [​IMG]

Today is now officially search for Daisy day from dawn til dusk plus i'm going to put signs out.

I'm considering these options:

1. She's so excited to have a boyfriend she made a nest and is hiding (but wouldn't she come back for food?)

2. Someone (one of the local kids) has taken her

3. Eeek!!! A fox or a dog has taken her and not left feathers or anything

4. Her clipped wings have grown back without me realising and she has flown the coop

Please help, I need moral support if nothing else. My heart is broken. Sometimes I wonder if I should even own these guys because I get so deeply invested....[​IMG]

2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    She is probably sitting on a nest somewhere. Ducks are famous for that. I was convinced something ate my small dog one night when he didn't come when I called him. I slept 2 hours that night. Next morning I tell my husband about the missing dog. He opens the door, calls and whistles
    Dog shows up!!! I am hoping for you.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I hope you find her and she is okay, poor Donald I bet hes is beside himself.

4. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Oh I am hoping for you that she is on a nest somewhere. Since she has a hole in the fence where she gets over to the neighbors yard she might have made a nest over there somewhere. And since you said it was bushy i am assuming there are plenty of places to hide. Once a duck goes broody there is no going back. She will sit on those eggs till they hatch. If I were you i would ask the neighbors if you could look around and try and find her. Or if they could keep and eye on her. When my ducks go broody they get off the nest for maybe a minute and a half to scarf down as much food and water as possible then they go straight back in to the nest. So it wont be a suprise if you dont see her. I hope you find her. Let us now how the search went. If it was a dog or a fox there would most likely be feathers.

5. Annie75

Jul 17, 2011
    Thanks all you guys. Well I searched and searched and no ducky. I've looked under every leaf next door and more. I've posted signs and reported her missing with the local council too. Now me and Donald are just going to have to support each other through this.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2011
    I am having the same issue right now with my khaki campbell duck. She is normally attached at the hip, so to speak, to my rouen drake, but this morning he is here, as well as my pekin ducks, but my KC is MIA. good luck, I hope all is well for her

7. xke4

xke4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2007
    Try putting your loudest duck in a cat carrier and taking him with you while you search. I have called in missing ducks this way. They will often respond to another one calling if they are in the area.

8. Annie75

Jul 17, 2011
    Quote:Let's hope that in 28 days our little lost ducks come back with babies.... (can't hurt to dream can it?) [​IMG]

9. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    Hopefully she shows back up! I will be sending good thoughts your way that in 28 days you will have a happy mamma duck strole back into your yard with a bunch of little babies following her. [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:X2.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by