OH no... day21- the NEW accurite reads 40 degrees Higher.. update pg 2

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alalele, Nov 21, 2008.

1. alalele

alalele Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    ORIGINAL Title: how do you keep the glass from fogging up at 65% HUM???

I need to see the guages... so what can I do? What do YOU do?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I don't think there's anything you could do? maybe i am wrong but my i have never had that problem
    maybe someone with better knowing of this can help and i hope all goes well for you [​IMG]

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you sure your guage is reading correctly? I've never had an issue with the glass fogging at 65%.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    If your glass is fogging up considerably your humidity is probably higher than 65%. At 65% mine just has a film around the edges. At 70% it's about 50% covered. It's not until 80% that I can't see anything. If the windows are completely covered I'd pull a vent plug and let it get down around 60% on the gauge unless your certain(you've actually tested it) that your humidity gauge is accurate or you've had several successful hatches at that humidity already. If the windows are just fogged on the edges blocking your view you need to relocate your thermometer and hygrometer so you can see them better.

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Did you just add the water? I have a homemade hatcher that does that a lot, but it clears up a few minutes after I add more water. Other than that, I don't really know how to keep it from doing it.

6. alalele

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    Yes the vent holes were plugged.... and it has Big water droplets.. had to wipe off one egg recently.. so could be the Accurite gauge messing up?

Also, I have started adding HOT water instead of cool water to get the temp up... maybe that is the problem. It was reading 67% just now... and I have been lifting the lid to wipe it because it even dripped on one of the eggs...

Good to hear all of your responses... at least I know it SHOULDN'T be doing this... gonna stop adding hot water and see if that helps.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  7. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Our home made bators do it all the time, we just cover the glass with a towel. When you want to see in just move the towel.

8. alalele

Mar 21, 2008
    Livingston Parish, LA
    Quote:Well, now I'll try that.. it's 3am and I woke up to check and it had HUGE water droplets on it and had to open it to let it pour off into the sink. Some fell back into bator.

I'm feeling like my hygometer went bad some point after I did the transition from skillet to styro bator... but when looking up the test it takes 8 hours that I don't have.

I'm glad walmart stays open all night because I can sleep worrying I'm hurting my hatch because of possible bad hygrometer... I don't trust it anymore... the water pan is Full by the way with 2 sponges in it.

But I'll cover with a towel and come back with a new one... I need to know..!

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I think your humidity must be way above 65%.

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Did you un plug the vent holes ?? They both should be open!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by