Oh no, dog just dug up baby rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by SunBaked, Jul 1, 2011.

1. SunBaked

SunBaked Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    My dog just saw some baby rabbits by their hole and killed one. I chased him away from the hole but he snuck back while I was letting the chickens out and dug out the other 2 babies. They are okay but what do I do with them? The hole is all dug out so I can't put them back. I don't think they are really young but I have no idea.

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I woud put them back the best you can, see if mom is still going to them or if she has abandoned them. If she has abandoned them I would call a rehabber, unless you are up to if of course!

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Try to put the nest back in and protect it from the dog. Maybe put something over to protect it from the elements and still allow the mother access. Hope for the best.

We found a nest when tilling the garden. We protected it from the elements the best we could and then left the nest alone. So far as we know it worked. The nest is empty and there are young rabbits raiding the garden.

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Getting in tough with a re-habber ASAP is probably the best decision. I don't think mama will come back now since it was a dog digging the nest up. Baby rabbits are extremely hard to re-hab. Last year I had four of them whose nest we uncovered while tilling our garden. I wanted to just leave them and he nest "as-is", but Hubby told me it would be senseless to even plant a garden if we did that. I took the babies inside and had them in a box with a heating pad and fed them kitten replacer (as per the re-hab instructions). They seemed to be doing well, and even started eating dandelion greens, grass, and a little hay. After a few weeks, one suddenly died for no apparent reason. Then a second one died a couple of days later. When the third died, I decided to release the fourth in hopes it would have a better chance at survival-----he was plenty big enough (you go by the little white spot on their head----the smaller it is, the closer to being on their own). Don't know if he made it, but I don't think I'll do that with bunnies again. Good luck, though.

5. SunBaked

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    Thank you guys. I have 2 bull mastiffs so the little hole is now a crater that looks like a bomb went off. I let them out again and they ran straight for that same spot. I have a cool neighbor who used to have rabbits who might want them, in case she doesn't I tried to call some wildlife rehabs near me but they aren't open yet. I put them in a box near the brooder light for now. Sure are cute lil things.

6. SunBaked

Apr 25, 2011
    Southwest
    My neighbor knows how to take care of them I guess so she is keeping them. I love having neighbors who are animal people too [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I would just leve them there... mom will come back for them if shes alive. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by