Oh no!!! Forgot liver in fridge for 6 days.. it is bad eh?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sabz, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I processed the meat chickens on saturday.
    As we processed them, we put the livers in a tuppwerware in the fridge.

I froze my chickens on tuesday and completely forgot about the liver.

So its been in the fridge for 6 days... can I cook it and eat it? It doesn't smell anything..

I don't really think it can still be good.. but I want to make sure, it's 16 livers going to waste :(

Maybe I should cook one in a pan to test without any spices or flavors - not in a liver recipe.

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Well... If it doesn't look bad or smell bad, chances are it's still fine. If the fridge is cold enough, and the meat was not contaminated with feces or whatever, and you cook it thoroughly, chances are...

You know, in places all over the world, throughout history continuing into the modern times, people have used spices to mask the flavor and smell of bad meat since it's not uncommon for it to be cooked and eaten anyway... I've eaten spoiled meat that's then been cooked on numerous occasions, don't rely on the taste or smell test once it's cooked, since it will generally taste and smell just like normal, unspoiled meat does. ;) Never got sick off it either.

Best wishes.

3. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    Ahh thank you. But I wasn't able to.. hahah. I smelled it again and thought it had a little acidic smell. Since I never ate chicken liver before, I wasn't sure of the "normal" taste. On certain websites it stated it would only remain good for 1-2 days. I might have tried it on day 3, maybe 4..

How do you know you ate spoiled meat? You smell it, look at it, know for a fact that it's spoiled and still cook it and eat it?

I have.. how do you call this.. emetophobia. I cannot stand the look, spell of a sick person. I was NEVER able to help my boyfriend when he was sick. In fact, I have to get out of the house, even if that means I'm staying outside in plain winter wearing only my pijamas. If I see "that" on a sidewalk near a bar as example, I will change to the other side of the road LOL

And once, I ate chicken that was spoiled. I was sooooooooooooo sick. I hate being sick, I cannot stand it. So.. tonight I smelled the liver again and threw it away, feeling really cheap since people are dying fro hunger all over the world and am throwing out food. But, I couldn't get my mind to eat it.

My mom says I've had this problem since I ate something when I was young (don't remember if it was shampoo or wild mushrooms.. I did one and my brother did the other). I remember the doctor FORCING me to drink 2 large cups of black liquid (activated charcoal?). It taste horrible, it had a disgusting texture.. then I was sick like crazy. And I am traumatized since then hehe.

All that to explain a very simple thing. Sorry.

4. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by