oh no how do i stop this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by team edward, Aug 19, 2010.

1. team edward

team edward Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    ok my chickens are eating eggs. how do i stop it? i already tried the ceramic egg thing and the filling the egg with mustard. any ideas?

2. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Hmm well we had that problem at one time and it was due to a lack of protein in their diet, what are you feeding them? I don't know for sure if that is the issue but if it were me, I would start there. We changed feed and the problem ceased.

3. team edward

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    im feeding them a layer crumble with cracked corn and my chicks are egg eaters too and they are eating cracked corn where they are getting the eggs from is from my silkie hen that lives with them

4. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Well, it could be that they are trying to keep her eggs from incubation, which some hens will do. But if the chicks are doing this too, I would suspect "monkey see, monkey do". Your older hens could be suffering from protein deficiency and teaching the chicks a very bad habbit. I am not sure what layer crumble you have them on or what kind of birds you have but from our experience, August is a time for molting, which means low protein levels. Cracked corn does nothing for protein, I would try supplementing their diet first. There are several ways i.e. scrambled eggs, meat products, etc. What works for one may not be the best for you so I would research it or PM me for how we help our girls. I would also cut out corn as it is just a filler, but that is just me. I would also try a higher percentage protein feed, like what is used for game breeds or turkeys, just until they get back to normal. Are your girls molting at all?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  5. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Personaly I would change feed to a 15% grower/finisher feed.Adult bird's especialy bantam's do not need high protien feed.Non medicated and put a dish of free choice oyster shell.All all the birds will benefit from it if they eat the same thing.I often hard boil egg's left over and offer them for treat's as well.But then again I do free range a lot and have never had problems with egg eater's etc.If you keep birds caged and not allowed to scratch or in run or free range then higher protien feed's are fine.I had a really bad run with game feed a few years ago and will not use it again.

6. team edward

Jul 11, 2010
    Amarillo Area
    thanks! i will try that and my chickens arent molting at all so i dont think thats the problem

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm, you can get a 50 lb. bag of Game Bird feed for $15.00 ... I'd start feeding them that. [​IMG]
    Boiled and Scrambled eggs every day or at least once a week.
    A hand full of cat food every now and then or dog food. You can mix Black Oil Sunflower Seeds into the Layer Pellets/Crumbles helps with protein and stuff. [​IMG]

8. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm feeding my girls a mix of 50#'s of Turkey/Gamebird feed (24% protein) and 40#'s of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (15% protein).

I offer homemade yogurt once or twice a week...if really hot I freeze it with overripe bananas as a cool treat for them...last week we made it down to 90 so I mixed homemade yogurt with rolled oats...they go crazy over either one...stand back...the yogurt flies like crazy. They also help me out when I clean out the frig by cleaning up all those leftovers and get the cantaloupe and watermelon rinds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by