Oh no humidity dropped, ~~~ I am a mama!

Namaste Mama

Songster
11 Years
Sep 18, 2008
AZ
Oh crap oh crap I have eggs in the bator the humidity dropped las tnight to 40% and the membrane was dried out when I found it just now! The baby is still rocking and rolling around, but will it hactch dose it need help? Oh what do I do???????

Last edited:
First thing you do is put a very wet paper towel around the egg and wait about 30 min for the membrane to get a little wet. Make sure the paper towel is not dripping though. Then let us know what's going on. He may be able to hatch if that membrane is wet. Try to do it quickly. Also put a wet sponge or washcloth in the bator too. Be sure these are warm! Not cold but not hot either.

First don't panic.... Then

Check out the " Sticky: Read Me's on Hatching by silkiechicken "

In the Incubating and Hatching eggs section.. (this section )

Last edited:
has it pipped? If it has you may have to help it. I saved a chick last hatch, because the membrane had dried to the chick. Then it couldn't turn in the shell to zip. I waited for it to dry after i got it out of the shell. Then took a warm washcloth and removed what was still stuck to the chick.

Just my opinoin i know there are many different, but this is what i did.

Natalie

I had a baby chick in a shell for four days and My hubby and I had told each other that we would NOT help out chicks because we were told that there is a reason they won't hatch...maybe they are sick or something else wrong. Well after that poor baby was alive on the fourth morning I had no choice but to help him out. Here turned out it just had a dried membrane and my humidity was wrong on my gadget I had in there. I put that wet paper towel over him and let it sit for 30 min. Went in to look and he was alive but too weak to get himself out so I slowly chipped away at the shell leaving only the membrane. Then when he still couldn't get out I slowly peeled away at the membrane...starting by his fur areas first. I was finally able to get him out and he did have spraddle legs but fixed that and today he is a fine looking blu rooster
big_smile.png
He is just beautiful and healthy
big_smile.png
Good luck! I hope your able to save the little guy! Once their membrane gets dried out they fight so much the seem to just get worn out so you may have to help him a bit. Only do a small area at a time and then put him back in the bator for a rest. This is how I did mine...others may have different opinions for you too
big_smile.png

Natalie that is exactly what happened to my chick...it was way to dry to move around and zip the rest of the way. He had a hole made about the size of a quarter and that was as far as he got. I slowly began there and stripped the shell away. About the blood...not real normal but if it's dried that explains the blood. It's stuck to the chick and the chicks is trying to move around and it's making him bleed
sad.png
if you get it wet that will help. Mine bled too a little. Don't worry to much, he has a good chance now that your helping him
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm assuming the chick had begun to zip and that's how you seen the membrane was dried out? Let us know when you can how your doing. I know how scary that is. It takes a LONG time to help a chick out...you have to work slow. It took me about 45 min to an hour. And then you have them looking at you with those pleading eyes
sad.png
So sad!

Theres small round pea shapped hole in the egg with a membrane with a little cut in it. Uggh If I could find my flipping camera I would take a picture.

What I would do is get that humidity up nice and high about 75% or so and then slowly pick some of that shell away. NOT the membrane but only the shell. I did this with a tweezers. All you really have to do is get under the shell only with one part of the tweezers and pull towards you and it chips off nicely leaving the membrane intact. Then you can get a better look at how dried the membrane is. How long has it been since the chicken pipped? If it's been under 24 hours I would just wait...maybe it's just not ready yet. If it's been over 24 hours and it has not zipped anymore I'm afraid you may have to help it all the way out. If it's dried inside as well there is no way that chick can turn around in there to zip it's way out. He would be stuck right where he is.

Back
Top Bottom