Oh No, hurt hen UPDATE POST #10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Qi Chicken, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    We have a 19 week old Welsummer hen that was limping a little yesterday. Today it seems that she can barely get around. She barely touches her foot to the floor and puts down her wing to help her along. The wing goes back up when she is laying down. I think.

I checked her feet for bumblefoot, she looks fine. One of the roosters mated with her very violently a couple of days ago, (I posted about it) and she just layed there for 4-5 minutes afterwards. I think she might have been injured then. Her leg is not swollen but I do not know how to check for a dislocated hip or any other injury. Can you help please? Her name is Nanette.

She is still out in the coop as I don't know what to do. I did give her food and water on the floor. She ate and drank. We don't have a dog crate. What other thing could I use?

How do you differentiate an injury from Mareks?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Do you have an old cooler or a cardboard box you can put her in? I suspect the rooster(s) have severely injured her. You need to visually inspect her sides and bottom for puncture holes and rips in bare skin. You have to look closely under the fluff and feathers. Good luck.

3. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    Ok, I brought her in and put her in a big rubbermaid container with a sheet on the bottom and a screen over the top. I have water and food in there and I gave her a hardboiled egg mashed up with 4 drops of polyvisol without iron.

I have looked but do not see any punctures. She has always been one to stay mostly in the coop rather than free range. Yesterday most of them (Nanette included) did not leave the coop. There were two soft shelled eggs in there in the afternoon. They have just started laying and I have never seen anything like that before.

Today they are also staying close to the coop. I don't know if they are worried about their friend or if something thappened that I don't know about. It is strange for them. Nanette has been with 4 or 5 others that have been inside more than the rest though. Her toe curled when I held her. Does that mean anything?????

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    She could be egg bound since you dont know for sure if she layed a soft shelled egg or not. You can put her in a basin of warm water and gently massage her underside. Wear a plastic glove and put a little cooking oil on the finger and gently stick your finger in her vent to feel for any obstruction (cracked/partial egg or egg membrane.) Other than that I dont know what else to tell you. I dont know about the toe curling neither. Sorry.

5. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Are you supplementing calcium with oyster shell? If not, you should be once they begin laying.

Secondly, the leg/limping I had two hens get sprains from being mounted roughly... one chicken and one duck. Keep her isolated with food and water and not too much room to walk around...give her a week or so to heal.

6. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    Yes, they have free choice oyster shell and have had for a few weeks. They kept spilling it so I finally put it in a wall mounted feeder thing last weekend. As to keeping her isoloated etc. Will do. I do think that is what happened (the rough mating) but this is the kind of thing that gets my mind going.......well, it COULD be...... I really hope she gets better.

Anything I should look for re other possibilities??

7. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    my gen hurt her leg abiut a week ago I pampered her put her in a cage by herself. I stayed outside for about 300 min after the first 48 hours and let her lay beside me a free range. she git better in about 5 days. all good now ! I am sure she will be fine just make sure she is ALL better before you put her back.

8. DaniLovesChickens

DaniLovesChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    Hope she feels better soon![​IMG]

That's what it sounds like, is a sprain. If you can't feel any other injuries and she doesn't seem egg bound, then that is what I would think it is. I wouldn't say it's Easy for a chicken to get a sprain, but I don't think that it's that difficult either!

It really makes me happy that I don't have full size roosters! I have often told my girls that too! [​IMG] I just make sure to not say such things within earshot of my two bantam roosters:plbb

You should notice a difference in how she acts within a couple of days being isolated. Some rest and she will hopefully be as good as new! [​IMG]

9. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I've got a hen I just separated out this morning who was limping. For some reason, one of the older hens has been picking at her and it incites the rooster and vice versa. Therefore, she's been getting pretty traumatized. I don't see any sickness in her that would make the older hen pick on her this way but I'm giving her a vacation anyway and keeping her calm until the limp is gone. Keep her hydrated. I gave mine some grapes off the vine this morning to cheer her up.

10. Qi Chicken

Jul 3, 2009
    I brought her in yesterday and she has been isolated. She still puts very very little weight on that leg. She will stand occasionally but almost hops (or limps really badly) when she tries to walk.

2 questions:

1. How often do they poop? She pooped 2 times last night and 1 time this morning. Seems like they usually go more than that? 1st and 3rd were normal. 2nd either runny or cecal.

2. How do I know if it is a dislocated hip?????? I have read that this won't heal?????????????? When should she be starting to walk better??????

She has eaten food, boiled egg and lots of Boss. She seems perky and otherwise ok except unable to walk. I am very worried.......any advice appreciated. ESPECIALLY re how long it might take before she shows signs of improvement.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by