Oh No! I heard one of my pullets crow!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by m_shuman, May 17, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have been suspecting for about 2 weeks now that 2 of my leghorns are Roos. Well someone crowed in the brooder this morning and I am thinking it is one of them or both since I heard multiple crows within the span of 5 minutes while I was putting the kids in the car for school. Now I don't know what to do. I think 2 roos for 7 chickens is a to low of chicken to roo ratio. Not to mention now I have to rehome at least one of my kids Easter gifts. When my MIL bought them they were supposed to be pullets. Should I have her call the feed store where she got them? She specifically told them no straight run chickens and on top of it they don't even look like Leghorns, they look more like Delawares What are the chances I got the only roos in the bunch? BTW they were in closed locked brooders.

2. Elphaba2140

Elphaba2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Illinois
    I have two leghorn girls. They have huge combs and wattles to you cannot go on that alone. Can you post pictures?

3. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I am unable to upload pictures with this computer however I am pretty sure they are boys. Their combs are already laying to the side and have been bright red for at least 3 weeks and they are only 5 weeks old. The one I suspect is a hen had a much smaller comb and it is not nearly as red. Also the "boys" fight with each other constantly. It's kind of funny to watch the get in each others face necks streached out and then try to peck and kick each other. If they are indeed boys I will absolutely have to rehome one if they continue this behavior. The other chicks scatter and take cover when they do this.

4. mcf3kids

mcf3kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    This is one of my fears - I was wondering how old they are before they start to crow - 5 weeks? wow, I was thinking it was several months away. Guess its better to find out sooner than later when you are super-duper attached (not that 5 weeks the kids aren't already). Good luck with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by