OH NO! I lost power!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muslw4, Jun 20, 2011.

1. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I lost power for about 1 1/2 hours! I have 24 eggs in the bator. they have been in for 10 days. I took them to a friend's about about 1/2 hour after losing power. the temp dropped to 87 degrees. Is there a chance the babies might still be ok?
    This is my first hatch. I really hope I didn't lose them. [​IMG] I'm waiting until the temp gets back to 100 before moving them back.

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah, you can relax. That's a minor blip, not long enough or deep enough chilling at that stage to kill them, might just delay the hatch a few hours. Should be fine.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have never had this happen to me during a hatch, however I have heard that eggs can cool down to room temp for 12 hours or so and still you will have a fairly good hatch. Some may not make it, but with 24 eggs, you should still have plenty of babies. I think you will be ok. Good luck with the hatch! [​IMG]

4. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Oh Thank you! big sigh of relief. If I only have 1 hatch I'd be happy.

5. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

mamas get off the eggs she's trying to hatch

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Don't worry about any outage under 24 hours before day 14. I have had great hatches after outages up to 24 hours. After that you get heavy losses. Also late in the hatch they cant handle long outages. 2 or 3 days in an they can handle well over a day. Day 19 on cant really handle getting cold for long.

7. greening

greening Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    My power went out for over 9 hours, and without power i lost heat and it was winter and my eggs got down below 70 and i had a 75% hatch rate (of the fertile ones). they will be just fine. [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Last winter on our coldest night we lost power. It was around 2 weeks into incubation. The power had already been off for a couple of hours when I discovered the power was off, my incubator temp was 78 degrees. Luckily I had a battery pack and an inverter. I plugged the incubator into it and got the temp back up. After a couple of more hrs the power came back on. I candled the eggs and saw movement. I still had a good hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by