Oh no I lost the love!Can you all help?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cat1994, Nov 25, 2010.

1. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I loved my 3 geese when they were babies and they loved me. But now that they grew up we hate each other. The only one I like is one lil goose, and she doesn't even really like me. I just don't know if I really like having geese anymore. Sometimes they are ok to have and they are nice to look at, but mostly they are just a real pain and just not a joy to have around at all. I don't know what to do. I can't make up my mind if I really want to have geese or not. Can you geese people out there talk me out of getting rid of my not so great geese, by telling me all the great things about geese?! It may just keep me from getting rid of mine!!! Thanks

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    [​IMG] I have days like that with the family so hang in there!! Tomorrow is a new day! [​IMG]

3. silkydragon

silkydragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2009
    ohio valley
    im not a goose person myself did try to hatch some eggs once just want a hen or 2 for eggs only reason i can think of keep in eggs taste like duck eggs and are like 4x the size of chicken eggs other then that i would just butcher them if you dont want them ive never tasted goose so cant tell how it taste

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:BUTCHER THEM!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't think I could [​IMG] I loved them like they were my kids when they were babies. I don't think I could kill them. If I did get rid of them I would sell them or give them away.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The poultry we keep should be for pleasure. If you are dissatisfied with them, find them a home where they are wanted. It is a plain and simple fact that baby animals grow up to be adults. Cute little goslings grow up to be geese with the varying temperments and personalities that geese have. Far too frequently people obtain animals without researching the breed.

6. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I totally agree with sourland and goosedragon: if you really can't stand them anymore, find them a new home. As for me, I would eat them, but I understand it's a hard line to cross to eat your pets.

All pets are pests once in a while. My own Keld has been pictured on the dinner table a few times... please don't tell him! [​IMG]

The two geese I had before him grew into aggressive, nasty creatures. Still, I kind of missed them once they were gone. Luckily they were not my first pair of geese or they might have turned me off geese altogether. Those two mean beasts made me understand I would have to keep only one goose next time, so that's what I did. It was very taxing when Keld was a baby - he literally could not be left alone for just one minute - but now that he's grown up he is much easier to take care of. He enjoys company but he's not so demanding. Sometimes it seems he doesn't love me anymore, but when he occasionally gets scared of something, he still comes running to me, yay!

One of my friends has been a formidable goosesitter when Keld was a baby, and Keld still loves him. When he sees him, he starts honking as in happy disbelief, then he runs to him and starts yanking his left pant pocket for treats, all the while honking at the top of his lungs. Once he's got his treats, he'll chatter away for several minutes (about how cruel I've been to him, I'm guessing). It's really endearing to watch.

What I love about geese: their faces, their feet, the way they walk, the way they mistrust anything new, the fact that they will find and shred anything you accidentally left out, their excitement when their pool water is changed, the way they greet you when you have treats for them. In my mind, geese are very much like cats: allowing you to live with them if you're properly trained.

Also, if you're not quite sure you want to part with your geese, I recommend these two goose stories:
    http://www.almostheaven-golden-retriever-rescue.org/goose-pet.html
    http://www.petfinder.com/before-pet-adoption/adopting-goose.htmle
    Those stories never fail to make me laugh out loud! If there's a tiny shred of love for geese left in you, these stories will bring it out.

I would never blame you for losing your love for your geese, they can be tough bastards to be around. And I think it's great that you seek advise on how to act. Too many people refuse to face the fact that their cute little gosling/puppy/kitten is neither cute nor little anymore and just keep the poor animal while neglecting its needs.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I understand how you feel. All I can say is to look at your little BYC avatar picture and remember how cute they were.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    well I don't know it cat1994 read the story about april and fool but I did it was very funny and I have to say very true. I only have 1 goose an emden 3and 1/2 years old and he can be a handful but I love him dearly, He is in love with one of my muscovy ducks. Honestly they sleep together and are inseperable.

9. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    I had 2 geese for a little while. I raised them from babies and just as they were getting to be full sized, they disappeared. I've never known what happened to them and it bothers me greatly. The gander, a china brown and the female a smaller white unknown breed, were the 2 most adorable goslings ever. I had so much fun teaching them to swim in the jacuzzi bath tub! They loved that tub and swam laps for hours. They also loved the jets, I think they pretended to be white water rafting. Our play time was always about an hour before I was ready to go to bed, it was so relaxing for all of us. Once they got big, the white girl that I called Bella, became shy and a little afraid to approach me. The big brown, Goofus, was hysterical. He would come up and grab on to my purse strap and hang on for dear life as I'd spin circles with him until he was flying. Then he'd come peck my feet to tell me he wanted attention and to sit in my lap. One of my barn cats, Patchy, thought he was going to swat at Goofus one day. He never did that again. In fact, I used to laugh til tears rolled down my face when Goofus would see Patchy in my lap and come tell him to get out, it was HIS turn. And Patchy GOT. Never thought I'd see the day that 30 lb cat would take orders from anyone, let alone a GOOSE.

Goofus loved to arm wrestle with me too. My arms were always black and blue from being pecked. And not very hard either, but those goose bills can leave a mark without even trying. I got a foot crushed by a horse last summer and my entire summer was spent sitting on the front porch with Goofus in my lap. He'd peck everything BUT my hurt foot. Even Bella started to come around and sit in my lap during that time.

At first I thought I'd raised the only water fowl afraid of water, or at least larger bodies of water. Turns out they just didn't like cold water. Once it became July and the pond was warm, my husband took the geese and the ducks down to the pond and swam with them. They LOVED swimming with hubby. Made me jealous because I couldn't go in of course. I felt like since I taught them to swim in the tub, I should be the one swimming in the pond with them. But I couldn't get my foot wet, so that was out of the question. Then they started to go swimming on their own down at the pond and we'd see them, marching the ducks down to the pond and swimming in a well ordered little group. Then Goofus would tell them it was time to get out and back up to the house they'd come.

I think my friends laughed at their antics and tolerated my geese because they like me, but I don't think any of them really miss them charging them in the driveway or on the front porch. I know the local deputy who stops by once in a while doesn't miss having his legs pecked. And I know he's relieved to not have to run for his car to escape the goose bills. Not a very dignified leave taking for a man of the law.....ROFL!! But I miss my geese and come spring, I'll be buying a couple more goslings and trying to start over. Hopefully this time whatever got them has been got.

10. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    Quote:I had a single female Canada Goose that bonded with one of my female call ducks. Things got really weird when breeding season came around and the drakes were trying to mate with that hen. The goose actually came close to killing one of them. I loved "Goosie" very much, but I did end up brining her to a wildlife education center where she has 2 big ponds to swim in and is free to fly in and out as she pleases. She was putting herself in danger going on our road and walking to the neighbors house (she loves people). She even got attacked by a dog once. I miss her and so do my kids, but it wasn't working out. I will always remember what a joy it was raising her and what neat animals geese are.
    If you are not happy with them try to find them a home where they will be well taken care of and not butchered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by