Oh no, I put benzocaine on brand new baby?!?!

rhaj

Songster
13 Years
May 30, 2010
NE'ern Connecticut
I have a brand new silkie (showgirl) that was just hatched today. It's feet look sort of curled so I attempted to make those little cardboard boots, but she was trying to get away and it just fell off... taking a piece of nail with it! There was a tiny bit of blood so I grabbed some syptic powder and put it on. Afterwards, I wondered if it was ok... searched 'sypic powder' here and saw a bunch of things that said to use it... hen one saying if it has benzocaine in it, it can kill them!!! MINE HAS BENZOCAINE!

I just put this on a teeny tiny baby born today! A bantam at that! I just washed off her foot, but it was already on there for probably over an hour, probably directly into her blood stream! Will she be ok?!?!? I am so scared that I hurt her.

(wrote born instead of hatched, hehe)

Last edited:
Probably will be fine as long as the concentration of benzocaine was not very high in the ointment.

Try to relax, you were trying to do your best, and those little fluffballs are tougher than we think,

Good Luck,

Sandie

Don't panic. If you panic the chick will get stressed and it'll spread faster. Just feed it a lot of food and water so there will be more food than poison. Maybe even force feed it. Hope your chick will get better soon!
hugs.gif

It is Nik-Stop syptic powder. It says 0.2% benzocaine. I have had it for a very long time actually (not something you use very often), so I can also hope that it has worn out some over time maybe?

I feel so awful. I thought I was doing something to help, but it would've been so much better just to leave it alone
hit.gif
She is so tiny and brand new and it went right into her bloodstream.

When will I know that she is going to be ok?? She is for now but it hasn't been that long.

I put her beak into food and water... took a couple times (stressing her out which worries me more!) but then she started eating!

I just hope it helps her
sad.png

Maybe this will help you feel better, I never knew you couldn't use styptic powder with benzocaine until I just read your post. Back in March I hatched out some Wyandottes. The last one got shrink wrapped part way so she couldn't turn in the shell and I had to decide whether to wait and have her possibly exhaust and die, or go ahead and help her out of the shell and risk that she wasn't fully ready. I decided to help her and she hadn't fully absorbed the veins in the egg and bled a few drops from her umbilical so I put a benzocaine styptic powder on her little bottom to stop her from bleeding more. I didn't worry about it since I didn't know any better and now she is a healthy 5 week old black laced red Wyandotte
SootWeb1.jpg

Chicks are tough, usually tougher than we give them credit for. Don't worry over her, what is done is done. It will be very sad if you lose her, but it will be a lesson learned if she does pass. She is more likely to get sick from being stressed then to die if she hasn't already. I'd say as long as she doesn't appear distressed, let her rest, hatch day is a tiring time for a chick.

ETA: Soot, my BLRW, spent 36 hours in the incubator after exposure to the powder before she ate anything.

Last edited:
Thank you so much. She is tired and won't eat anymore. I guess I'll leave her alone for now and check back with her in a couple hours to see if she is ok and will eat some more.

As far as I can tell, she is doing fine. She is eating and drinking right now. She stood IN her water at first but now has the hang of it
smile.png
It's only a little 1 quart poultry waterer but even that makes me nervous, she is so little...

I am hoping that since she seems ok now (5 hours later) that she will be ok??

You have to trust nature, Rhaj. You can do everything 100% right and lose a chick. Then you have those times where it seems you do everything wrong and they all turn out fine. You're little chicky will figure things out just fine. Give them food, water and heat and let nature do the rest. Congrats on the hatch!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom