OH NO! I set a broken egg.....now what????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by luvmychicknkids, Feb 21, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Alright, first, I have NO CLUE how I managed this. [​IMG] These are my eggs from my babies. Today is only day 2. I hand turn and just did todays #3 turn. One of my BTWJ eggs is cracked pretty bad. Here are what I think my options are.....advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

1) toss the egg and forget it....problem with that is, there are only three of her eggs in there and my oldest son is really wanting babies from his girl.

2) wait to make sure it is fertile then melt wax on the crack.

3) melt wax on the crack now.

4) (my personal favorite) put the egg she laid today in its place. It would be 2 days behind but people have them hatch a day or two apart all the time.

So, what do you guys think?

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I'd go w/ #4

3. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Whew.....I like the way you think!!!! [​IMG] That is certainly the best sounding option to me. Thanks!!!

4. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    What would teh harm be in doing both #3 and #4?

5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    FrenchHen has a great point!

Now there's a thinking addict.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I'd probably do #4 too and just stop turning it with the rest. I stopped turning some on day 17 and it was my best hatch from shipped eggs so I would say the odds are greater you'll get a late set egg to hatch fine than a badly cracked egg. Maybe if you were on the last week and it cracked but at this point it will probably have problems with moisture loss and is highly likely to get infected with bacteria.

7. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    If it was me I'd do 3 and 4. I'd seal the egg now and also put the other egg in. What could it hurt? Just like someone eles said stop turning it the same as the others. I know some people who went weeks without turning and the eggs hatched.

8. luvmychicknkids

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I do like the idea FrenchHen has...only problem is, I have them in an egg carton and have an even dozen in there. [​IMG] Now everyone is wondering how I noticed the crack with them in a carton, right. [​IMG] I will confess, I candled. YES, at day 2. [​IMG] I do it the "safe" way and quickly put a bright, tiny flashlight on top of the eggs without removing them from the carton. Honestly, you can see changes this early if you know what to look for. [​IMG]

9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Even easier if you aren't using a turner. Set the cracked one down (after sealing) and turn by hand. Replace it with a noncracked one.

10. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    I don't know much 'ceptin what I've learned here.

But I'm a strong believe in the "nothing to lose" school.

So you lose the egg? You can't lose it twice...unless it develops and you butter finger it or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by