1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OH NO!! I THINK I CAUGHT A CUBAN TREEFROG!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by d.k, Aug 14, 2008.

1. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* It was in my laundryroom. IF it is a Cuban (and I have sent an em to the Amphib guy at U of F to verify) I HAVE TO kill it. . . .It is illegal to let it go!! I don't want a treefrog in my freezer!!! Yuck!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Why would you have to kill it?

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Probably an invasive species or a disease vector. Best of luck!

4. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Invasive species regulation. S'posed to douse it with ambesol to knock it out and freeze it overnight before disposing of it. Right now, it's in a plastic cup blocked shut with my downey fabric softener ball! [​IMG]

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Update: Still haven't gotten a response from the amphib guy. I can't keep the dang frog in a cup forever!! That's harsher than just freezing him and getting it over with. Frack.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  6. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    LMAO frog captured in a downy release ball

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    d.k :

* Update: Still haven't gotten a response from the amphib guy. I can't keep the dang frog in a cup forever!! That's harsher than just freezing him and getting it over with.

Then you just answered your own question. If it is more cruel to keep it in the cup just freeze it and then talk to the amphibian guy later.

-Kim​

8. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    [​IMG]

I appreciate the irony as well.

9. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Ya'll are not funny. Can't help feeling sorry for him/her/it. I'm not even sure it the right "wrong" frog!!! Besides being grossed-out with the whole "frog-in-freezer" method of dispatch. Yep, I'm a softie-- I would probably rather mail it back to Cuba.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] well - post a picture HERE perhaps someone can ID it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by