Oh No!! I think I made a mistake!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    This is my first batch of eggs.

My mother buff duck and mallard stud have been doing a wonderful job with their eggs!
    I currently have 8 but had 11.

One egg was in the duck pool so i figured it was no good and gave it to y grandma to blow, But I also had 2 green eggs that I had thought had rotted.

Here is the thing, All my eggs are white, except for the two green ones. They were the first two layed and I "think" they went"bad" becuase I tipped the kennel over to clean it when i found the eggs ( didnt know they were in there and wasnt expecting them). So The eggs steadily turned greener and looked zigzaged with white lines.

So here i am thinking they went bad, and i finally got up the nerve to take them out so that if they were rotten they would not explode and cause a mess.

Well, My problem is, what if they were good and I made a terrible mistake?! I feel so awful! Do they usually lay diff colored eggs?!

I mean all 7 i have now are white, those were my only two green ones, so i though they were rotten, but now my grandma is saying that they may have been alright, and if that is the case I feel so terribly awful!

And suggestions or answers to my questions? do you think i threw out perfectly good eggs?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    deffinatly no expert esp on ducks, but if the eggs are changing color after they are layed, i'd say that's a lil fishy to me...iwoulda broken one opened (at a distance to avoid blow back ...ew...) and just see...i have too much curiosity in me not to...however..ive also had an egg blow up in my face before (all iddi was picked it up ha ha)...so i'd be wary but still do it anyhow. [​IMG]

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I gave them to My grandmother, the three that I took out. The one layed in the pool is blowable, but she said she is going to wait on the green ones, just in case they are rotten she wants to be prepared when she pokes that hole.

4. duckman

duckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    michigan
    one way you can tell is to put them in water and I think if it is rotton it will sink and vise versa I could have itback words though.

Duckman

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:good idea!!! I think you may have it backwards tho because when i put eggs in to boil for boiled eggs they clink to the bottom of the pot....and i'd assume a nasty rotting egg would have a bunch of gas pressure in it enough to make it float! Good thinkin Duckman!! btw that picture on your sig is GORGEOUS!!! what type of duck kinda looks liek a wood duck, but more colorful!?!?!

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:good idea!!! I think you may have it backwards tho because when i put eggs in to boil for boiled eggs they clink to the bottom of the pot....and i'd assume a nasty rotting egg would have a bunch of gas pressure in it enough to make it float! Good thinkin Duckman!! btw that picture on your sig is GORGEOUS!!! what type of duck kinda looks liek a wood duck, but more colorful!?!?!

I got curious loked at your sig breeds and i id'ed it! a mandarin!!! gosh....goooorgeous!!!!

7. tczahrbo

tczahrbo Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2008
    West Monroe, La.
    I also think the egg floating thing was backward. The older an egg is the more porous the shell becomes, which lets oxygen enter the egg. That being said, "If you place an egg in a bowl of water and it sinks, it is very new and fresh. If you place another egg in the bowl and it stands on one end, it is still okay, but not so fresh. If you place another egg in that bowl and it floats, throw it away!" According to this, your egg(s) were bad.

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks so much! Ill have to remember this if another egg goes "bad".

9. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    really!!.I have never seen a bad egg turn color,I mean the shell is the shell,the bad stuff is inside,has anyone else ever seen an egg turn color?.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by