Oh no... Is my Speckled Sussex a Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by hannah9, Jun 22, 2010.

1. hannah9

hannah9 In the Brooder

May 4, 2010
    She or he is a little over 5 weeks old in these pics. Any way to tell yet? The tail suddenly sprouted and I'm wondering if my pullet is actually a Roo. I can't have a Roo within city limits. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. macmama

macmama Songster

Apr 9, 2010
    Gilbert AZ
    I've never had this breed, but it certainly doesn't look like a roo to me.

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    All my SS pullets have had big combs early on. Then the comb stopped growing---so, you could still have a girl there.

4. heksa

heksa Songster

Jun 21, 2010
    Indiana
    These are some great photos! I can't help with the gender though, I'm all too new at it ... but it is a gorgeus looking bird. Love the markings and colors. [​IMG]

5. Gallusfarm

Gallusfarm Songster

Jul 14, 2009
    At 5 weeks, I have to lean toward pullet. You will love this breed!

6. hannah9

hannah9 In the Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Quote:I think you are right! I ordered two of this breed. At first, they were rather shy and I was really unsure about them. Now, they are becoming big sweethearts! I love watching their feathers come in... they get prettier everyday. I am really hoping this one is not a Roo because I would hate to have to get rid of her! [​IMG]

7. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Songster

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    Wait till they get their final spots!

8. RAREROO

RAREROO Crowing

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I raise Speckled Sussex and yes the can be tricky little buggers to sex at that age but looking at yours, I'm thinking pullet too. The comb is nice and even from front to back and the brownish tint around her eyes and face is usually indicitive of a pullet, most of my boys have whiter faces and there breasts are usually white at that age.

Here is one of my young cockerels, you can see his white chest while yours is still brown and he has a bit of red in his comb already and yours dosent.
    [​IMG]

So hopefully This is what you have to look forward to.

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: