OH NO, it's top is out and the yolk isn't absorbed!

Huny

Songster
11 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Sunny Southern Arizona
I had a pip around 6 tonight. It's Midnight now. It pipped out the first part and it looked wet, but now the part of the shell (white) is that membrane? is looking very dry and my humidity is at 60% (after 35% for the 18 days.) I can see a little bit in, but the beak doesn't look fully ready. It's quite white, not yellow at all. (Columbian Rock Bantam). I also see some blood on the beak and when the membrane tears a little. Is this guy not ready yet? Do I need to wrap him back into a towel? Help out (I know cardinal sin). Please, I hope people are still up!

UPDATE: She popped out the top of the shell, and the yolk isn't absorbed....I didn't take off the bottom shell, but left it on her. What do I do?

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Huny,

I am new at this hatching stuff. This last weekend was my first time hatching. It's very hard on the nerves I'm sure I don't need to tell you! When my chicks pipped the membrane looked white also. One of my chicks beak was bleeding too. I think it scratched it when he was pipping or zipping. If it was me I would NOT open the incubator. Is it moving around and pecking the shell? I've read that it could take 18 to 24 hour after a chick has pipped. What I did was tap on the incubator and litely and I had a small flash light that I would shine on the pip. For the most part it seemed to help encourage more movement. I also talked to it, kind of cheering it on! Please try not to panic. I hope this helps out a little bit. I'll be here for a little bit longer if you need to talk.
hugs.gif

Well, I was stupid, I pulled it back a little bit. And then she pulled her head out, and of course, she still has her yolk not absorbed.
barnie.gif
I put her in a wet paper towel with the bottom of her shell still attached. I'm going to cry, I don't know how much premature she is, and don't know if she'll survive the night now.

It's ok. I've had this happen and did just like you. Make sure the bottom 1/2 if the shell stays on and wrap in moist - not soaked - warm papertowel. I then put her in a dish towel to keep her from moving. It took about 12 hrs but she absorbed her yolk and I can't tell her from the rest of the peeps who are 3 weeks old now.
Good luck and I hope it turns out ok.
fl.gif

So it was absorbed in 12 hours? I am going to see if I can take a picture, it was pretty large still, I was worried it might be like 3 days too early (of course I don't know why it was pipped if that was the case).

I hatched ducks last year and the same thing happened. I am pretty sure it will all work out, good luck!

p.s that little chicken is so lucky to have a mommy like you!
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom