Oh No Lockdown One Day Early!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by harris farm, Sep 19, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    I miscalculated the days and i locked down one day too early. Will this hert they eggs or are they possibly going to kill them?

2. tailfeatherzs

tailfeatherzs New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    I've done that a couple of times, still had good hatches.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I haven't done that, but I suspect it will not have much effect on your hatch. The reason you have lower humiduty for the first 18 days of the hatch is so water will evaporate from the eggs in the right amount. You raise the humidity the last few days so the chick does not dry out and stick to the egg membrane after it opens the egg shell. I sincerely doubt going into lockdown a day early and raising the humidity is going to affect how much total moisture is going to evaporate enough to matter. Do not lower the humidity now to try to compensate. You'll likely do a lot more harm than good trying that and it is probably not necessary at all.

The other reason for lockdown is to stop turning the eggs so the chick can better position itself for hatch. You turn the eggs during the first 18 days so the developing chick does not come into contact with the egg shell membrane, dry out through the porous shell, and get stuck. This is posssibly a danger to a few of the eggs, especially if your incubator is running a little cold and your hatch is going to be a bit late, but I really doubt many, if any, of your eggs will be affected by this. The higher humidity during lockdown helps stop this from happening.

Lockdown is not an exact science. Many of us have incubators that run either hot enough or cold enough to change the hatch date by a full day or more. In effect, that causes us to miss lockdown by a full day or more, and we often still get good hatches. Until you know your incubator and how it is running, you should try to get lockdown right to improve your chances as much as you can, but being off a bit usually will not hurt your hatch that much. Mine runs hot so I have, in effect, locked down late a couple of times. After examining the eggs that did not hatch, I don't think the late lockdown affected my hatch. Early lockdown will probably not affect your hatch that much, if any.

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    No problem.

Good luck with the hatch.

5. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the help. I was a bit weary.

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    I have done it and it turned out okay. You should be fine.

7. mothersin2ition

mothersin2ition Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Othello, WA
    I put mine into lockdown on the night of the 17th day [​IMG] so far so good. Im sure your eggs will be fine!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by