Oh no, Lost a hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AZ_HenHouse, Dec 2, 2011.

1. AZ_HenHouse

AZ_HenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    So my ds comes in this morning and says he can't find Honey. [​IMG] Well. I let them out in the garden this morning but did not pay attention to who was where since it was raining. [​IMG] So off we go out to look for her thinking she might have gotten out of the garden (an everyday occurance) or even out of the yard (not happened before). Looked everywhere and could not find her. [​IMG]
    Now I am really worried since there is no evidence that she met with foul play and no evidence of her.

Where could she have gotten off to?? [​IMG] Hope none of the neighbors find her or worse yet she lands in their back yards with some not so friendly dogs...

so 20-30 minutes later after we have checked every nook and cranney we hear a noise in the run...

Seems Honey had flipped over the bottom of the cat litter turned nest box (it is round and about 5 inches deep) and trapped herself inside. [​IMG] Not sure when she did it since they have access to the run from their coop all the time.

What's worse is that I threw hay and straw in for them earlier, the other hens were walking on the top if it [​IMG]

She seems ok but I was surprised that she would just stay in there and not try to get out or make more noise.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I've had this happen believe it or not with my little frzzle Frenchy [​IMG]

I suggest you get the scissors and clip both wings on all your birds if they can jump the fence. It's not hard and doesn't hurt them except their looks.

I wish you well,

Rancher

3. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Quote:I have found that it is better to only clip one wing. That way they can not direct their flight. I have an amazon parrot (30 years) and it has worked keeping him contained..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by