Oh no more chicks!

CA Bean

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
Central Coast -California
What have I gotten myself into? I will now have a total of 24 chickies!! SO my sis in law today is getting some more chicks,asked if I wanted more...Ugh why did I give in? I am just getting 2 more but still!! These guys will have to be seperated for a 1week or 2 and since they are 1 week old versus 3 weeks old I will have to keep em in a different space right..?! Oh man!!! Oh and this weekend I could possibly get my hands on some Welsummers, Marans and SLR Wyandottes if I am lucky..and if it all works out. DOH!!

Quote:
We always quarantine new birds for 30 days - no matter their age when we get them. It has saved us MUCH heartache.

Oh my 30 days!!! My living room smelled so rank with 16 chickens before..and I was relieved to move mine outside in a temp safe coop and run with a light. Maybe these guys will have to have a nice set up out there too with a light??

Quote:
As long as they have no access to the rest of your flock it would be okay. But Marek's is airborne, so it really should be completely separate.

We use our laundry/mud room (20 x 20) as a brooder area, broody hen & eggs/chicks nesting area, and infirmary isolation area.

We have had chickens in it for as long as 8 weeks (mama hen with chicks). But I am always glad when they go out to the hen house and barn so I can clean and sanitize the room. (I HATE moving the washer and dryer.)
barnie.gif

Quote:
As long as they have no access to the rest of your flock it would be okay. But Marek's is airborne, so it really should be completely separate.

We use our laundry/mud room (20 x 20) as a brooder area, broody hen & eggs/chicks nesting area, and infirmary isolation area.

We have had chickens in it for as long as 8 weeks (mama hen with chicks). But I am always glad when they go out to the hen house and barn so I can clean and sanitize the room. (I HATE moving the washer and dryer.)
barnie.gif

Oh my! how airborn is it? I guess they wouldn't want to be right next to each other sharing a fence line right? Ok, maybe I will put the Brahmas out there who are Merek's vaccinated when they are done being quaranteened. How long for these guys? They are 23 days old..but look a lot smaller.

Back
Top Bottom