Oh no! My chicken is hurt!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Carolyn227, May 17, 2011.

1. Carolyn227

Carolyn227 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    I was checking on the chickies (about 2 or 3 months old) and one of them started flying up... I'm new to this and it startled me so I closed the lid quickly- apparently a little too quickly. It has blood on its beak and in its mouth and can't chirp. What if it can't eat? What do I do? I feel so bad!

2. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    She IS eating. The kids are giving her soft bread right now.

3. fifenashia

fifenashia Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    Awww! Poor thing, I bet you were seriously freaked out! Glad to hear she is eating, just keep an eye on her so that the other chickies don't peck at her. For some reason they tend to pick at red spots and wounds.

4. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    Will do. I have some leftover babyfood from when my DS still ate it that I was thinking of setting in a bowl for the girls to eat so she has something soft to eat for the next few days.

I'm a little freaked out about the not being able to vocalize thing. That worries me the most.

5. fifenashia

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    Just checking in to see how the little darling is today. Keep us updated! And the soft food idea was a wonderful one!

6. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    I'm taking care of my little guy right now so I haven't taken a closer look, but she's up and out in the pen, so I'm optimistic! I'll be putting out a little bowl of baby food in a little while. Maybe some oatmeal and some pears.

7. Carolyn227

Apr 30, 2011
    Applejuice (our injured chicken) doesn't have blood on her beak this morning. I haven't checked in her mouth to see if there's blood, but she's eating fine! They think the babyfood is the best treat in the world!

8. fifenashia

May 15, 2011
    Eastern Kentucky
    So glad to hear! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by