1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh no... my chicks have tiny little nub's on their legs!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrs. Green Thumbs, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

It's the best I could do with a squirming squawking chick. They all have these teeny tiny little nubs on their ankles, please PLEASE don't tell me all 4 of my chicks are boys..... [​IMG]

2. TinaK

TinaK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2010
    Australia
    nope your safe.. those teeny nubs do not mean that you definately have roos.... pullets will have little bumps too...

3. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Pullets and roos have nubs as babies, but I noticed the nubs on my roos got noticably longer after a few weeks. Good luck!!! [​IMG]

4. Mrs. Green Thumbs

Mrs. Green Thumbs Chillin' With My Peeps

-sigh- oh thank goodness! I picked up Violet for cuddle time yesterday and was inspecting her when I noticed them, then I inspected her twin lilly... nubs, and Rose our RIR... NUBS and oh no not the EE Jasmin too! lol I was throughly panicked that I had 4 rooster's on my hands and no the heart to cull a single one of them! Good to know good to know.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] I thought you were going to say you didn't know what the nubs WERE...lol!!! What are these growths????!!! heehee

6. Humhill

Humhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Liberty, NC
    We were looking closely at ours last night and my DH saw all the nubs on them. "Oh no, more roosters" Atleast now we know!!

7. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    LOL! I just noticed those on my chicks yesterday! I was worried for a moment too.....

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Nubs are normal, and even some hens grow spurs...

9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yup, nubs are normal. I have a buttercup hen that has 1 inch long, pointy spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by