1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

OH no my eggs went bad

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by the1honeycomb, Aug 5, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    Death and devestation!
    I had taken 2 eggs from the nests they smelled terrible and I didn't see anything when I candle them

I checked with Momma today been working double shift the last 4 days so hadn't had time.
    I just went out and smelled something again found a dead chick under her with MAGGOTS!!!

a terrible gooey substance was all over all the eggs!! I felt like I had no choice I did a water test, 9 eggs sank like rocks
    4 floated at the top and one wiggled:oops:
    Momma had maggots on her chest,
    I cleaned her and the eggs as best as I could and put her in a new nest. she seemed very happy to have the new clean nest and settled right down on her eggs

I can only hope that the chicks left will live and Momma will be ok

I can't believe they died because of my neglect I don't think I'll hatch again for a while.

2. Hi Nancy! That must have been awful to deal with. This time of year, and in this heat, things can go from bad to worse in hours.
    I hope your hen is OK and the rest of the chicks hatch.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

3. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Yep just one broken egg can lead to ultimate nastiness in a very short time. {{hugs}} Sorry for all this chaos for you, but really we all try to leave our broodies alone so it could happen to anyone.

4. mandelaykay

mandelaykay Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Southern maine
    Sounds like fly strike! I used to see it all of the time when I worked at the Emergency Vet clinic. Lots of outdoor animals with maggots. Make sure that you check her all over. When this happens the maggots will eat healthy flesh as well as dying... but they can burrow into the animals and cause serious wounds and infection. Just thought that I would let you know to check her so she doesnt get sick.

5. reereechickens

reereechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Reidsville, NC
    So sorry:hugs That must have been hard on you and momma hen

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    so if the eggs sink it is bad????

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by