Oh no! My favorite hen's right eye won't open! please please help!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by oliviad51, Aug 20, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I have a hen that is almost fully recovered from a raccoon injury a few months ago. Her skin has healed over and she is walking fine now. I don't think this ^ has anything to do with it but I thought I'd add it just in case [​IMG]

This morning I went to check on her and her right eye was closed, but her left one was fine. I opened it myself and it looked fine, but it closed right after I was through looking at it. I thought maybe it was just dry or something got in it so I left thinking nothing of it. Just a few hours ago I checked on her again and her eye was still closed and It wouldn't open even if I tried to open it.

I just looked at it again (its 11:48 pm) and its still the same. She is acting fine though. If someone can help please do! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  2. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    is she the hen in your avatar pic? The one like my avatar ya they have bum eyes somtimes just put a drop of visene in her eye (dryness releaf wroks best on them) and she'll be just fine!

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    In the morning get a warm damp cloth and hold on it for a few minutes and if you can get some gentamycin eye drops from your pharmacy or some eye salve used for humans for sore eyes or the such put some in. I have talked my pharmacist into selling me some since we don't have a vet that will see chickens. Used to could by some at Jeffers which is local here. It has worked great for me in the past. Cleared right up. I think my hen must have gotten something in her eye or it got pecked.

4. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    No, she's a light brahma hen. Thanks for your reply and I will try that.

5. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks so much. Can I give her any kind of eye drops or just the kind you mentioned?

6. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    I used the gentamicin cause that was what I had on hand. I used one drop in eye. If you have another antibiotic eye drop it would probalbly work okay.

7. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    I just got some Visine from rite aid. They did not have any gentamicin. Do you think visine will be too strong for her or will it be okay?

8. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I personally would not use Visine. I doubt her eye is closed because of dry eye. In all likelihood she either has something in it or is getting an eye infection. You should rinse the eye with Saline solution and then you can apply a little Neosporin (regular kind - not the pain kind).

I was buying the human/animal antibiotic eye ointment from my previous vet to treat all of our various animals' eye problems but when I sent to buy some from my current vet she told me to just use Neosporin - it was cheaper and was "the same thing - worked the same way". I've been using it ever since. She's a great vet and always tries to save me money and trips to her office.

9. oliviad51

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Darn it, I already spent $6 on it. it won't hurt her though, right? I will look through my cabinets and try to find some neosporin. As of this morning, her eye was still pretty tight shut. When I get home I will put a warm washcloth on it and try to find some neosporin.

10. BamaChicken

Nov 14, 2007
    I agree with Ruth. visine will be basically useless. I have never heard of a chicken having dry eye, not that it might be possible. most likely you have an infection of some sort since you did not describe that she has any sneezing symptoms or things like that. Try not to wait to long as she can lose her eye.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by