Oh NO !!!! My hen just ate my earring !!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beameuplord, Jul 25, 2007.

1. beameuplord

beameuplord Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2007
    I brought my 8 wk. cochin inside this evening because something happened to the roo today. she was settled down on my shoulder and pulled my earring right out then ate the post when it fell on my chest ! It was a tiny gold ball , I wonder if it will hurt her. I would think they pick up all kinds of things outside, but I'm worried about the post sticking her insides. Has anything like this ever happened to anyone?
    TJ

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Somebody actually did write about this before... I can't remember who it was though.
    I would give her some oil to help it "slip" on out, but hopefully someone else here has a solid answer for you.
    Let us know how she does!

3. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I remember the thread but don't remember any final outcome on it. There was lots
    of talk about the metal poisoning the chick.

Beameuplord, don't worry too much about it. Mine ate a staple and was fine. This too shall
    pass, in more ways than one. [​IMG]
    Just watch the chick to make sure she doesn't start acting sick. She'll be fine!

4. beameuplord

May 8, 2007
    thanks for easing my mind. I'llkeep an eye on her.

TJ

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I had a pullet swallow a small grape sized jade pendant once with hook on the end! Snatched it right off my neck. Your bird should be fine.

6. beameuplord

May 8, 2007
    OK I'm not worried any more. If yours llived, mine should too. TJ

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Kinda sounds like chickens are like kids. They just eat things... they don't know why... they just do. [​IMG]
    Hopefully your little pullet will learn her lesson! Shame on her!

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Don't worry, you'll get it back soon.[​IMG]

9. leepsy

leepsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    North Florida
    My poult ate my gold ball earring when she was quite little. I haven't seen it since, so don't count on getting it back. She was fine, though. Didn't appear to bother her. [​IMG]

Beverly

10. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

She's probably telling all her friends she got the best most bling piece of grit of all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by