1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh NO Niece found a baby deer and brought it home!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, May 18, 2009.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Please advise! I don't think she should have touched it, but now that it has been what to do next?

We are in a suburban area no nearby extension office......

Help!

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Gosh call the Forestry Department or Animal Control. They will know what to do with it. Poor thing!

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] ooh no! i dont know what to tell you! i hope someone chimes in quick! [​IMG]

4. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    How little are we talking? Does she remember where she got it from? I would suggest taking it back to where she found it.

5. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Ive raised baby deer before. I suggest getting cow milk from your local feed store, warming it and feeding it to the deer with a bottle. Just feed it the same way you would a cow or goat. They are closely related to goats. So if you have goat milk that would be better.

However the BEST option to do is take it to your local wildlife office and give it to them. They have people that are paid to know how to care for the animals and they have the time to do so since its thier job. After a deer gets so old, it can become very dangerous to have around the house. Expecially if its male.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    I know the wildlife rehab lady down the street bottle feeds the deer turned in to her with goats milk. Can buy at Walmart. Might help the poor thing make it till you can find some help with this problem. Might even call your local police. They might have the number of a wildlife rehab facility.

7. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    It looks to be about a week or so old. It doesn't seem to have any fight to it at all. It is supposed to be freezing tonight.

She knows where it came from - will the mom take it if she returns it? Or is the damage already done?

No one is open! I called forestry conservation and wildlife and the county extension office all closed!

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You could try and see. Deer leave their babiess for short periods, so the mother could still be around.

9. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    You have to stimulate its little privates to help it go potty.

10. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I wouldnt worry about putting it outside if its suppose to get freezing out. Ive seen does with babies in winter. Just walking around in the snow like it wasnt a big deal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by