Oh no! Not a molt...not NOW!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trish1974, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Trish1974

Trish1974 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    A few weeks ago I posted a problem with my 7 month old golden comet: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1143566/eggbound-or-something-else

Long story short... she went from laying normally to abnormal laying; like dropping an unshelled egg during the night, laying just the albumin, then laying something that looked like a lash egg (but was yolk inside), and at that point she quit moving, eating, and drinking. I brought her in the house and nursed her back to health in a few days, though she has not laid an egg since. It is like her entire hormonal system shut down. Not laying, no nesting behavior, she even quit squatting for me. Otherwise acting normal.

Yesterday I noticed some of her feathers laying around the run. This morning I found a lot more on the floor of the chicken coop. Then I realized... this hormonal problem must be triggering a molt at THE WORST TIME POSSIBLE!! The coldest air of the season is moving in mid week. We're talking daily highs around 7 and nights at -2! My first instinct is to move her inside, but I've read you should not stress them during a molt. That surely would, on top of extreme temp changes bringing her in and then when I have to put her back out. How should I handle this? Keep her locked up in the coop on the coldest days? Bring her in? Just wait and see how badly she molts? This is my first flock and my first molt. I wasn't expecting to go through this until next fall! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Not a molt............Diet related I believe..........What do you feed.......Possibly way to much fillers being added...

Cheers!

3. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    They have free choice of a 16% layer feed and a daily "treat" of either scrambled eggs, sunflower seeds and/or mealworms. Occasional table scraps of vegetables or meat. Up until today they had daily free range time of 3-6 hours. There is now 3" of snow on the ground with another 2" on the way, plus a deep freeze, so I don't think they will be seeing any grass or seeds anytime soon.

4. chickens really

5. chickens really

Has the Bird laid eggs yet??

If not grower till the first egg then add oyster shell in another bowl.....Layer after laying....

Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  6. Trish1974

Mar 16, 2016
    North Central IN
    She was a daily layer until her episode a few weeks ago. She has not laid in a week and a half now. This is the same diet they've had for 3 months now with no issues. I didn't think protein based treats were considered filler... I thought that was more like scratch, bread, pasta, etc.

7. chickens really

Trying to help.......Everything is a filler other than feed....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by