Oh No ! Not My Julia ( She's OK today...)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Suzie, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Today is a very sad day here - Julia my Muscovy duck flew into the Goose compound and was relentlessly attacked by my 9 Geese - she is still alive as I write this but she has some bad injuries - her back is raw and bloody and she looks dreadful - it is my fault - I meant to clip her wings as she has been flying around for a few days - it was one of those tasks that never happened - we have 83 animals here ( mainly ducks, geese and chickens) but somehow other matters took priority - today however, it has been Julia's day - she hatched our first Indian Runner chick ( it's Mother wasn't interested) and she recently hatched "Golfball" a chicken - I have treated her wounds with Iodine ( Betadine) and washed her where I could to get the inevitable mess from her, I also put wound powder on her and she is in her "hatching box" with water and food - she is laying on her straw bed and is looking as comfortable as can be - under the circumstances

Question.....

Is there anything anyone else can recommend for me to do for her?
    [IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/36405_picture_030.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    [​IMG]

I'm so sorry that happened. Sometimes it's almost worse when they survive, because then you have all the stress and worry of watching them suffer and not knowing what the outcome will be.

It sounds like you're doing well for her. She might appreciate a bath when she's feeling a little better, so she can clean herself up.

Pictures would probably be helpful for folks to offer more tailored advice.

Good luck to her. Ducks can be incredibly hardy, so I have good hopes for her!

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Sorry this happened also Suzie, I hope Julia makes a full recovery, don't beat yourself up badly, we all make mistakes, now you just have to get her feeling well again, [​IMG]

4. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thanks for the messages - my Avatar is of Julia's "baby" Indian Runner Duckling and I have now posted a picture of Julia with the Runner.... she was so proud of herself..... she is able to see and hear her normal companions but they cannot access her nor can she access them as I am afraid they may peck at her and make her injuries worse - I did bathe her earlier but she protested a lot so I just wiped her down with the betadine solution, applied wound powder and left her in her straw bed as I didn't want to stress her any more than was neccessary, she has eaten and has access to water - she is one tough duck and all I can do is hope for her survival from this dreadful ordeal - I will update tomorrow

5. tinychicky

tinychicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    keep the wound clean and keep her isolated. other than that, there's not much else you can do [​IMG] good luck, though!

6. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Keep her warm and out of drafts so her body does not have to expend energy to stay warm.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She is beautiful I have 3 that look just like her, they are wonderful mommies, that duckling is adorable too! [​IMG]

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    [​IMG] for Julia's full recovery. I love Scoveys!

9. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Poor Julia! She's a beauty! And it breeding season with the geese and they probably figured that she was a interloper. I think you're doing the best you can for her. Keep an eye on her, keep her warm and dry and I think she'll be fine.

Laurie

10. Suzie

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Thank you all for your kind words - Julia is still here with me -she hasn't moved from her box but she is eating and drinking so I am hopeful that she will recover from her ordeal - I didn't mention yesterday that I clipped her wings when I was cleaning her up so if she does survive she won't be able to fly into the goose compound again ( I suspect she was venturing there to look for food but she was on the menu herself.... ).

I did go down to the stables at 1.00am to check on her and found the other 4 Muscovy ducks laying around her box - they know she is unwell and it was so touching to see them surrounding her.

All I can do now is to wait and see if she can get through this - if my love for her can make her survive then she will be OK!

Thanks again for your well wishes - it means a lot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by