OH NO Now what do I do? UPDATE Post 27

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by r4eboxer, Dec 19, 2011.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    On Saturday I put my ducks in the pond for the first time. They were hatched Nov 7th and do have feathers. I did not plan on leaving them out full time but they have left me no choice. They run from me and go into the middle of the pond and will not come out.

I am worried; they are staying in the pond even when it is cold out. I have provided shelter but they refuse it. I had them inside and spent a lot of time feeding and caring for them but they want nothing to do with me [​IMG]. What should I do? Should I venture into the pond and try to catch them? Do you think they will be ok in the cold? The pond had a thin layer of ice over it this morning. The geese churn a spot in the pond to keep it from freezing and the ducks did the same thing last night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know they are happier out there but I am terrified they are going to freeze.

Here's a pic of them on the first day.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Where is Fairmont? as long as the pond doesn't freeze over to where a predator could walk out and snatch them or they are forced to the edge where one could snatch them they will probably be fine, but it those to things happen you'll need to get them to safety fast.

3. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    How old are they? Fully feathered? Have you tried luring them out with treats?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They look pretty big to have been hatched on Nov. 7th. and treats may bring them out. [​IMG]

5. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:Where is Fairmont? as long as the pond doesn't freeze over to where a predator could walk out and snatch them or they are forced to the edge where one could snatch them they will probably be fine, but it those to things happen you'll need to get them to safety fast.

Fairmont in WV, the weather is mild here for this time of year. We are in the 50's today and it will be 50's all week. I'm worried about predators. I am going to put one of my new Pyrenees out by the pond tonight. I figure she will bark all night and keep any would be killers at bay.

One other question, Why don't they go to shelter? How am I going to train them to go into the coop? I think I might have to venture into the pond YIKES, that's going to be COLD! But then when I do put them back out I am going to have the same problem with them not seeking the shelter I provided. [​IMG]

6. r4eboxer

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Quote:They are fully feathered but the wings are not really long yet. I have tried with food to lure them many times, they just run from me and then go after the food once I am at a safe distance. I am going to try peas but I figure I'm going to have the same kind of luck.

7. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    As long as you have some kind of shelter for them to get out of the cold when/if they do get cold, they should be fine.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Stop feeding them where they want to eat. Feed only in the coop/pen so that you can lock them up. When they are hungry enough they will go back to the coop. Control them with food - don't allow them to control you or they will be 'sitting ducks' for predators.

9. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There are a number of ways to get them back. If they love treats, use them. At their age it is not surprising they don't trust you. My runners went through a similar stage for several weeks.

Here is one idea inspired by the way Majestic Waterfowl rescues ducks.

To get them back in, you'll need a few people to help, some 4' posts, and some flexible fencing (like plastic poultry fence). Exactly how many people & posts you'll need to decide based on your conditions.

Set up a large three-sided area that goes to the edge of the pond. Maybe even just a few feet into the pond. In other words, fence three sides, maybe ten feet from the pond and twenty feet across. (I can't quite guess the pond's dimensions, but that's the idea).

Get someone in a kayak or similar non-motorized vessel on the pond. Or, if it's shallow enough, two people in waders.

Have two people holding the ends of some temporary fencing the same length as the long side of your temporary capture fencing.

Put some treats into the capture fence.

Get behind the ducks and slowly walk them into the fenced area and get the two people to "close" the fence behind them.

Then someone can go into the fenced area and nab them. They won't have much room to run from you.

I don't know how cold it gets where you are, but if the pond's already icing, I don't think they'll do well for very long.

Meanwhile, they'll need some fence around the coop until they understand it's their safe place.

What have you done so far to make the coop attractive to them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by