Oh NO! :( Opossums....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by KrazyKZ08, Oct 5, 2011.

1. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    overnight, i keep my ducks in a kennel with an igloo and so far it has worked out just fine, but last night i heard them quacking really loud out of nowhere so i went out there to see what was going on and there was a young opossum near their cage! i immediately scared it over the fence but i knew it might come back so i brought the ducks inside for a few hours until i checked out there again, and as soon as i was ready to let them out again i looked out there and the thing had squeezed through the tiny bars and was INSIDE their cage eating their food!! i couldnt believe that he got in there! i cant even imagine what would have happened if the ducks were in there too. so i kept them inside with me overnight in diapers until i could figure out what i can do about this T_T im also worried because my girl lays an egg every morning and i didnt know how that would work out if she has a diaper on. i took it off early this morning and they are still in the house but i dont know if that is enough for her...i hope she will be alright... [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    Diapers for ducks, I am laughing just picturing it! How many ducks do you have? Let me know if your girl lays her egg today...

3. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    A live animal trap will catch possums quite easily. Then do whatever you need to do with it.

We first rented a live trap but soon learned over the years we just needed to buy our own.

The caught critters will be replaced with new critters right away! Good luck!

4. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    lol honestly i thought the same thing when i first heard of them, but they are great if you need to bring them indoors. i used to let them indoors anyway but i just had to scrub my carpet like once every 15 minutes so they started to look better and better. i only have 2 ducks, a female pekin and a male welsh harlequin. the girl actually started laying eggs about a week ago but ive been getting one every morning since then except today. she is very loud so i always worried they would attract something, i just thought the cage i have for them was predator proof until now [​IMG] .

5. tbitt

tbitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    What thype of cage do you have? Can you post pictures?

A cheap, quick, temp fix would be to go buy chicken wire and put it over the existing cage.

6. KrazyKZ08

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    Quote:i dont have any good pictures but i found a picture of the exact one i have on google: http://www.yourfencestore.com/dogs/dogimage/cottageviewkennel.jpg

i
    just took it appart and cleaned it this morning but havent put it back together. it is 5X5 feet in diameter and inside i have an igloo for shelter and sometimes a little kiddie pool on hot days. i know its not enough room for them [​IMG] i got it when i only had one duck but its even too small for her. i have been meaning to build a bigger one but for now i only put them in there at night...well until now i did. i also have a pool with a screen enclosure so i let them play around out there every day too. i didnt think of the chicken wire, so thanks for the tip! i will do that now for sure, but i might just try building a whole new and bigger cage for them soon with smaller holes haha. i just cant bring myself to let them loose in the yard when im not around [​IMG]

i also couldnt believe how easily that big rat got through those small gaps!!

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

We used to have something similar, made the same, and we simply attached hardware cloth to it. Problem solved.

8. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    The doors on those things have big gaps.

Good Luck.

9. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Quote:Yup! Hardwire cloth. Those teey tiny squares are too small for anything to squeeze through and it's super strong. All my houses are lined with that stuff... it's expensive but it works!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  10. tbitt

Apr 28, 2011
    IL
    Hardware cloth is the best idea, but sometimes not as easy to find. It is actually worth the effort to use the hardware cloth, but if you can not find it or if $ is a problem, the chicken wire will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by