1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

oh no! possible roo??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kbrunnergirl, Aug 21, 2013.

1. kbrunnergirl

kbrunnergirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    Hello! I am new to chickens and to this website, and am wondering if I may have a little roo on my hands. I have a mixed flock from a mail order that should be all pullets. The little buff orpington seems to be feathering much more slowly than the others (I also have an EE, polish, d'uccle, and a cuckoo maran), although I don't have another BO to compare to. This picture is at 3 1/2 weeks old. There is no sign of red on the comb, and no wattles to speak of. Any help would be much appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. kbrunnergirl

Aug 21, 2013
    Here are some more pics, these are from today, and we are at 4 1/2 weeks. Sorry about the blur, my poor boyfriend is being forced to take the pics and text them to me while I'm posting from work - he's getting a little grumpy with me!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I had to chuckle about the Weber grill box in the background. It's a sign!

It's still early but it's body shape and sturdy legs would make me keep an eye on it. You might get confirmation in as little as a week or 2.

4. kbrunnergirl

Aug 21, 2013
    Hahaha Percheron chick, the Weber grill is the biggest box we could find for them, hopefully not an omen! What kinds of things might I see in another few weeks for confirmation? Increasing comb size? This chick is definitely not aggressive or even brave at all, probably the biggest baby of the flock - the last one to try something new and the flightiest when being held or moved.

5. canesisters

canesisters Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    Virginia
    Those are actually signs of roo-ness. Not very reliable signs but often signs. Many baby roos are skitish - makes them a good watch-dog for the flock later.

Don't give up though. When I posted picts of my first flock I was told I had:
    SLW - 1 of each
    EE - male
    Spedkled Sussex - 2 females
    Marans - female

I ended up with:
    SLW - 2 hens
    EE - hen
    SS - hens
    Marans - roo

If at all possible - just wait for either the crow or the egg. [​IMG]

6. Mathew544

Mathew544 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2013
    Danville, PA
    Unfortunately you will have to wait until he/she is fully feathered and starts developing combs/waddles. Too soon to tell but I hope you get a hen!

7. kbrunnergirl

Aug 21, 2013
    I hope we end up with a hen too, as we aren't allowed roosters in our town! These are my first chickens and it's amazing how quickly you get attached to them - I would hate end up needing to figure out a solution for an unwanted roo...

8. kbrunnergirl

Aug 21, 2013
    Picture update (although not a good one, was trying to get a pic of the polish's growing hair do to send to my nieces and got the BO's face and noticed it captured her comb). Coming up on 8 weeks old. There are definitely no wattles growing underneath, just pink little patches. What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by