Oh no! Practically dead chick!

CoopsNPoops

Songster
Apr 5, 2021
Ellsinore, MO
Ugh.. When my daughter went out to check on the chicks, she found one "dead." ...He wasn't dead, however he was on the brink of death. He was somewhat flat where the other chicks trampled him. He was only taking breaths about every 3 seconds and gasping for air. He was cold to the touch, severely dehyrated and emaciated, and had a bit of pasty butt. It was a long shot, but i hurryed him in to try and save him. I washed off his butt with warm water and forced some Electrolyte Water down him. He started to shiver so I turned the incubator back on to warm him up. It didnt take to long for his shivering to slow and his breathing to improve. About an hour later i heard some chirps so i knew his strength was improving. I noticed a good normal poop too. I got him out to give him more electrolyte water. After the first taste he drank it freely and quickly on his own. He was also ready and willing to eat some egg yolk too. After a few bites he was pecking at the towel underneath him. I put him back in the incubator cause i didnt want him to over do it straight away. After another rest ill let him have another go at it and offer some crumbles this time. He was essentially the "runt" of the hatch. Much smaller than the rest, so im not sure if he was just bullied away from the food and water, or if he even could reach the food or know what the water was. Its my mistake for not watching more closely to make sure they all could and would eat and drink on their own. They all seemed fine the day before, except maybe he was a little weakish, but i just chucked it off as him being the small runt. I know he isn't out of the woods yet, but at this rate, its hopeful he will be fine with some help and a watchful eye. He is at a complete turn around from an hour ago. Best wishes for the little guy!

Keep us updated!
I will. It may be a bit premature to say this, but i honestly think hes gonna be just fine. Hes a bit sleepy, but much more lively. Hes cherping and moving around normally now. Hes drinking on his own & i cooked and crumbled him up some egg yolk instead of just raw this time. He took a couple nibbles, but somethings better than nothing.

Update: Little guy is just fine! Back to eating chick starter and drinking just fine! There were 3 more smaller ones that were behind on weight and hydration (one about in the same condition as the first), so the 4 of them have been getting special treatment inside with me so i can be sure they're getting propper amounts of food and water. They're all strong and healthy again and about ready to go back in the brooder with the rest!

From our experience raising chicks, it's not a bad idea to separate the smaller, weaker chicks from the more active, more quickly developing chicks if they're getting left behind (and, thus, getting walked over, bullied, not eating/drinking and so on). They'll catch up, but they need a space to do it in their own time, usually just a few weeks at the most...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom