Oh no! Sick chick?

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
5 Years
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Yikes! It's about 20 degrees Fahrenheit here and I just noticed one of my 11 week old chicks (Australorp) is wheezing pretty badly, She's also acting pretty lame refusing to move much, She does est/drink and she's standing, But her eyes are closed and it looks like she's gasping for air? I don't hear any gurgling in her wheezing but again, her wheeze is pretty bad, She's in a 16' x 8' coop with 60 other pullets, Same age, she has clean straw as bedding, and I've been feeding her (Along with everyone else) Grower/finisher feed and she's the only one wheezing. Should I be worried about this? Should I separate her? Any replies are gratefully appreciated!

How long have you had them? If she has something contagious, they all have probably been exposed. But you may need to separate her in a dog crate with food and water, so she can get to food/water and not be trampled. Check her crop for impaction. Keep her warm, since respiratory issues can cause them to shiver and need warmth. Make sure that she is drinking well, and poultry vitamins in her water for a few days would be good. Many do not like to use antibiotics without knowing a cause, but you can get Tylan 50 injectable in the cattle section of your feed store, and give it orally 1/2 ml 2-3 times a day for 5 days. She could just be a weak chick, and not have good immunity to common illnesses.

How long have you had them? If she has something contagious, they all have probably been exposed. But you may need to separate her in a dog crate with food and water, so she can get to food/water and not be trampled. Check her crop for impaction. Keep her warm, since respiratory issues can cause them to shiver and need warmth. Make sure that she is drinking well, and poultry vitamins in her water for a few days would be good. Many do not like to use antibiotics without knowing a cause, but you can get Tylan 50 injectable in the cattle section of your feed store, and give it orally 1/2 ml 2-3 times a day for 5 days. She could just be a weak chick, and not have good immunity to common illnesses.
I bought them as day old chicks if that's what you're asking? they're all 11 weeks now and I do still put the heat lamp on at night, During the day they're all active and running about in their coop, I'll separate her for now but the thing was I didn't want to stress her out too much by separating her from everyone else.. I always have some Sav-A-Chick Probiotics but no Tylan.. I'll pick some up while i'm out getting some feed for them. She is noticeably smaller than the others so it is a possibility she's just a weaker chick? Anyways, thank you for the reply and the great suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom