Oh no storm coming and eggs in bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Jan 31, 2011.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    So what will all of us do this storm is due to hit just about everyone. I've never had my bator running during a major storm. We are right in the severe part of it. One good thing is I'll get 3 days off from work Yeah. So what should I do to get ready for power outages. HELLLLP. I'm only on day 7.

2. chicknduck

chicknduck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2010
    Ohio
    I hope all goes well. I have decided after a batch being done after a power outage to take down my back up source for my comuter If it happens again. If you have one that might work for you.

3. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    I bought a small generator for just these occasions. You can pick up a small cheap 2 cycle generator at Tractor Supply or Harbor Freight for around $100.

4. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

What kinda bator do you have? one thing you can do is warm up some baby food jars full of water to around 100 degrees, or just put them in your bator and let it warm them up.. It will retain heat for a while if your power goes off. You can also cover your bator with a warm blanket to retain heat. but I wouldn't do that until the power actually goes out. Good Luck.

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Put a blanket on the bator and hope that the power comes back on soon. I lost power twice during summer hatches last year. The blanket trick saved one hatch but the other hatch all the babies died in the eggs at about 5 days before hatching [​IMG] They are expecting up to 18 inches of snow here. Ick! Just when I was beginning the think of starting up the bator and starting some seeds. Guess that will have to wait awhile now. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that you don't loose power and have a wonderful hatch.

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a hova-bator 1602-n. I never thought of the jars of water. Only problem is I haven't had a baby in my house for 21 years. Will adding the closed jars add to much humidity?
    Has the snow started for anyone yet? Ours are supposed to start this evening. BF on a run for emergency supplies before everyone gets off work today. I'm going to keep my [​IMG]
    that the power doesn't go out. I have my freedom ranger/ FBCM eggs in there.

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    same here, I have lavender orph's in the 'bator, that i set on fri, the storm we are going to get is 3 days worth [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    I just set my eggs saturday. Sure we aren't going to get the cold those in the great white north but it is cold to us. I'm moving my bator in the house cause I'm having a bear of a time keeping the temps right.

9. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I know what you mean I've been watching the weather channel and they just said 30 states and over 100 million people will be affected. The ice storm in 2009, I lost power for 4 days. I hope your lav. Orps do fine, I would love to have some of those.

10. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    The storm is due to hit us starting today with freezing rain and snow starting tonight. I have hand warmers and am going to get more, just in case we lose power. I have eggs in the bator 3 week old chicks in the brooder and 2 week old ducks in another brooder. Please dont let the power go out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by