Oh no! Supposed Silkie hen crows! Or is this a false alarm?

oconnorfamily25

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
For a while now, my two silkie roos have been crowing in the morning. But today a shock came.
Gracie, the cute, feisty little hen, CROWED!!!!
I mean, it wasn't a good crow, but it was definitely a crow.
AHHHH!!!
We already have two roos in the batch of five chickadees. We cannot have another roo.
Is this a false alarm? The chicks have never been around any full grown chickens, so maybe she just picked it up from the roos and imitated them?
She has little wattle, comb, and spur growth, while the roos have lots of these growths.
Help me!

No, I don't have any pictures, but the difference between she/he and the roos is obvious. I hope to get some pics up soon.

I don't know. My NHR Crowed for about a week. But she hasn't been around a rooster for 10 months. Now she is laying every other day and no more crowing. Maybe it will pass?
fl.gif

My silkie girl, who keeps wanting to brood, started screeching very loudly today. I had closed her out of the nest to stop her from setting and she was obviously unhappy about it. It was very loud and she kept it up for about a minute then went on her way. I have another silkie from her batch who has not crowed, laid, or showed any sign of being either boy nor girl. They seem to be very vocal, so who knows.

They're about four months, give or take a week. We do have one boy who is older than the rest of the babies. And yes, as I have learned, silkies are terribly hard to sex. But at least we have two figured out!!! The chicks all came from the same hen except for the one.

Back
Top Bottom