Oh no! Supposed Silkie hen crows! Or is this a false alarm?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by oconnorfamily25, Dec 22, 2010.

1. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    For a while now, my two silkie roos have been crowing in the morning. But today a shock came.
    Gracie, the cute, feisty little hen, CROWED!!!!
    I mean, it wasn't a good crow, but it was definitely a crow.
    AHHHH!!!
    We already have two roos in the batch of five chickadees. We cannot have another roo.
    Is this a false alarm? The chicks have never been around any full grown chickens, so maybe she just picked it up from the roos and imitated them?
    She has little wattle, comb, and spur growth, while the roos have lots of these growths.
    Help me!

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Sounds like she maybe a he.
    Do you have any pictures?

3. oconnorfamily25

Jul 19, 2010
    No, I don't have any pictures, but the difference between she/he and the roos is obvious. I hope to get some pics up soon.

4. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I don't know. My NHR Crowed for about a week. But she hasn't been around a rooster for 10 months. Now she is laying every other day and no more crowing. Maybe it will pass? [​IMG]

5. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    some hens can crow although this is very rare. the only way to be sure is to give us some photos or if she lays u an egg. silkies are very hard to sex

6. crash0330

crash0330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Mecca, CA
    My Coop
    How old are they?

7. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My silkie girl, who keeps wanting to brood, started screeching very loudly today. I had closed her out of the nest to stop her from setting and she was obviously unhappy about it. It was very loud and she kept it up for about a minute then went on her way. I have another silkie from her batch who has not crowed, laid, or showed any sign of being either boy nor girl. They seem to be very vocal, so who knows.

8. oconnorfamily25

Jul 19, 2010
    They're about four months, give or take a week. We do have one boy who is older than the rest of the babies. And yes, as I have learned, silkies are terribly hard to sex. But at least we have two figured out!!! The chicks all came from the same hen except for the one.

9. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    Pictures will help for sure!!

10. Aria

Aria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    New to Silkie Chickens. Wondering......Why does the Rooster Crow?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by