Oh no, the coyote's back!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MoodyChicken, May 13, 2009.

1. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    My neighbor just called and said she saw a huge coyote walking past her chicken coop on its way up to my house! I have birds in flimsy day cages to enjoy the sun, 3 birds totally lose, and chicks outside! I thought this blasted coyote finally left... but he came back! And he's one crazy animal, not afraid at all and it's the middle of the day! I can't put my birds away, it's too hot to lock them up in their tiny cages but I'm so worried! I walked around our property line, hoping to deter it, but he's so ballsy that probably won't work. I hate coyotes... nasty ugly animals. If only I could aim a gun I'd shoot it square between the eyes. He took 3 of my birds last year... he won't take any this year...

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    get a large bear type trap, let your girls in cage be the "bait" and when he is stuck, there isn't much aiming involved [​IMG]

3. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    I don't think coyotes are endangered.. I'd be leery of one that appeared during the day. Why exactly can't you shoot it?

4. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Cause I have the shooting skills of a blind man. lol. I have no problem killing it, but I can't aim. I'd trap it and shoot it, but my dad won't let me (says it's not fair to shoot a caged animal... tell that to the caged chickens that died). I know, I'm worried for myself too! Most coyotes run at the scent of a human, but this guy won't budge till you charge towards it, sometimes that doesn't even work. He's BIG too.

5. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    Sounds like it's time to set some coke cans up and have a little target practice..... Or get dear ol' Dad to shoot it. I don't like it when wild animals become so bold. Makes me worry...

Do you have animal control in your area?

6. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Haha, yeah! I used to be a killer shot... but I haven't tried in long time and now I kinda suck. lol. Dear ol' Dad could do it no problem, but he's not home for most of the day... so it's up to me.

Yes, but they're not very helpful. They either tell you to bring the animal to them or show up hours later.

7. ChickenDogDuck

ChickenDogDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    Or~e~gun
    Quote:Was it about the same time last year that the coyote came around?

8. Blueroo63

Blueroo63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    N.Texas
    so why don't you shoot him and he will be gone for good

no cyotes are not endangered they pay a bounty on killing them
    down my way,which that has nothing to do with why i kill them
    because of my chickens and baby calves .I see one I shoot one

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  9. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Was it about the same time last year that the coyote came around?

Yup. Stayed all summer and then vanished.

10. MoodyChicken

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Quote:Working on it! lol. When my dad gets home I'm going to ask for a crash course on the pistol. Then I'll go coyote hunting tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by