Oh no! the farm is flooding!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 28, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    And so is the duck pen! Their pen is about 600 square feet, and they have about 30 square feet thats NOT flooded! [​IMG] im so worried that its gonna get worse and that somethings gonna happen! I have no extra pens to put them in, and I cant let them out cause then they will float away and drown! [​IMG] this totally sucks! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Is their shelter on higher ground or elevated?

How fast is the water moving?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    It's rather unlikely that your ducks are going to "float away and drown". Take a deep breath. As long as they have an elevated shelter to escape the water as they see fit they will be fine. If they do not have one go out and construct one. It doesn't have to be fancy. Stack cinder blocks and put a dog house on top of them if you have to.

4. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    They won't drown in any case, ducks swim naturally and well. They are pretty much water proof. That said, they can get out of their pen and get lost, I second the idea of making them some sort of elevated area and I sure hope everything is alright!

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    We're getting hit hard by this rain, too! good luck!

6. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Is there another farm building you could put them in until the water recedes? They may be more confined than in their fmiliar 300 sq ft pen, but at least you'll know where they are and that they're safe. Otherwise, like other BYCer said, find something to raise an area for their beds, yet easy enough for them to access. I know my ducks won't go up a ramp at all, so don't make the ramp too high. Keep us posted on how things go.

7. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    Do you have access to some pallets you could stack on the ground so they can stand out of the water if they want? Had to do this in my chicken tractor/coop one winter.............

8. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    Duckgirl- What about your mom's chickens? I would be more worried about them! I'm sure everything will be fine. But I'm turning on the weather channel cuz I didn't know Tennessee was getting pounded with rain! I was too busy on BYC.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Good Luck. I hope your birds are ok [​IMG]

10. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Good luck Duckgirl [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by