OH NO! The power is out!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by O'Henry Farms, Apr 13, 2011.

1. O'Henry Farms

O'Henry Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Grassy Creek, NC
    My wife woke me this morning at 4:45 in a panic! The power is out! What are we going to do about the eggs in the incubator? She scurried around, loaded the bator in the car, and drove them 5 miles to her parents house and plugged it back in. We think the power was off for about an hour and the temp in the bator got down to around 80. We have about 40 eggs setting. Are they doomed? [​IMG]

2. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    O'Henry Farms :

My wife woke me this morning at 4:45 in a panic! The power is out! What are we going to do about the eggs in the incubator? She scurried around, loaded the bator in the car, and drove them 5 miles to her parents house and plugged it back in. We think the power was off for about an hour and the temp in the bator got down to around 80. We have about 40 eggs setting. Are they doomed? [​IMG]

no, mine was off overnight, I lost two. 11 hatched out of 13​

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

No they are fine. I only worry about the power being out over 24 hours. My longest outage was 24 ours an most still hatched. 7 + hours is harmless. The will hatch late by as much time as the power was out.

4. greatchicken

greatchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Michigan
    They should be fine. My power went out and the temp dropped down to 65 for about 2 hrs until I could get a generator and get it set up. I had 15 out of 20 hatch.

5. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    my power went out and temp dropped to 73.. 17 out of 19 hatched! right on time. dont stress they will be fine

6. O'Henry Farms

O'Henry Farms Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2010
    Grassy Creek, NC
    Thanks y'all! It was an emotional morning to say the least!

7. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I have had hens leave the nest OVERNIGHT, in very cold 40 deg. weather. They all hatched fine. You should be fine. Good luck

8. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Mine went out last night as well. Luckily we have a generator, but I stayed up until 3:30AM when the power came back on so I could leave the generator going. IT doesn't hold enough fuel to last all night. I have 5 chicks still in the brooder under 80F, and 7 eggs in the incubator in lockdown! 6:30AM came very early this AM.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by