Oh no, welp hatchery's welsummer

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by ging3rhoffman, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I just read where someone said the welsummer's breeding was so bad that he culled them. Someone else said they ordered 7 welsummers and got 9 sexlinks.

I was going to order from welp hatchery just for the welsummers, i cant find them anywhere else. I am in ohio and welp ships out of new mexico. What should I do?

2. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Have you cheked Meyers in Ohio. They have welsummers I believe if I remember right.

3. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Estes Hatchery has excellent Welsummers

4. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    I got mine from Ideal. I can't say they're high quality though. I love them and they're great layers but that's about it.

5. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    I'd look for breeders or hatcheries closest to you and start making a few phone calls. You can find a list of hatcheries by state and breeders by breed at www.CountryChickens.com.

Good luck!

Kathy, Bellville TX

6. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Thank you all so much for replying to me. So helpful. Meyers wont have any until August and you cant order them yet until they know for sure the hatch dates. I will check out that website. Thanks again.

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Did you try privett ? I have welsummers from them this winter. Theyre excellent birds.

8. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Make sure you check on craigslist.org in ALL your surrounding cities

9. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Quote:Are you sure they ship out of New Mexico? Their website shows them in Bancroft IA.

10. Buckhunter

Buckhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    I got 5 welsummers from welp last spring and they have done well ............... I'm no expert but I have no complaints about my welsummers .............. they lay a nice dark brown speckled egg !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by