Oh No wet Chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Sonia, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    My son just accidentally dropped a chick in the sink of soapy dishwater! I rinsed her off and dried her as best I could and put her back in the brooder...is there anything else I can do?

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
  3. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    Ok thanks. They are only a few days old and tiny. I dried her with paper towles and put her in the brooder which is still at 95.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i had one get out at 2 weeks and my dog was licking her like a puppy. she was cold scared and wet but I dried her off, gave her a light blow dry and place her under the lamp and she was fine in an hour or so. Dont worry they really are strong.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    sonia, how is she?

6. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    She's fine. Dried off in the brooder and I can't even tell which one it was now.

7. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    My 16 chicks got a good soaking the first day I got them. One of them flip up the edge of a paper towel into the waterer and it wicked out all the water. I came in in the afternoon and they were peeping mad and their whole lower halfs soaking wet. Poor girls had a really bad trip to start with (10 out of 26 arrived dead) and then this only hours later.

They did dry off fast under the heat lights in the brooder box. Their only a week old now but sure seem like and extra hardy and agressive batch after they finally caught up on their sleep and warmed up.

8. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    one of my baby chicks that are out with there mom in the brooder pen well mom decided to break out with the babies when they were about a week old and one got in the duck's pool luckly i heard it peeping and got it out before it was too late i gave it a good blow drying and gave it back to mom and all was well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by