1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oh no... what to do??? Coturnix quail eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mrs MIA, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    A customer of mine didn't want to throw away his quail's eggs, so he saved them up for me and put them in the refrigerator. It's a week's worth of eggs, 100 of them to be exact, and I don't have room for all of them in my incubator. Should I try a couple of them to see if being in the refrigerator hurt them any? I don't know which ones are the oldest as they were all jumbled up in a plastic container. [​IMG] What to do? What to do? Does anyone want them?

2. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Guess where I stored the eggs I shipped you? As long as they don't freeze they will hatch. Set them dudes!!

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] I wish I had room for them all. I don't have a single space open until I get my LG back from the fair. Then I could set maybe half of them. I've been looking them over, and finding a few that have cracks in them, so there's slightly less than 100.

4. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    PICKLED QUAIL EGGS:

Hard-boll and peel a dozen quail eggs ...and place them in a bowl. Then combine a small onion (diced), 1/4 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of water, and a dash of salt and pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil. Pour the hot pickling solution over the eggs until they're completely covered ...then store them in the refrigerator. Serve them chilled.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Gourmet dinners!

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I would also set the ones that are closest to the top of the pile of eggs first, as those are probably the freshest. My guess would be that the ones that are the oldest are on the bottom. Good luck with them! [​IMG]

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Actually, they ARE all jumbled up... he took them from the cartons he was storing them in and put them all in a plastic container for me willy nilly. [​IMG]

I may just boil them up and crumble them for the birds...

8. kwynn's birds Alaska

kwynn's birds Alaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    Kenai, Alaska
    I'd say send them over but the bator is full up now. I was going to put some more quail eggs in there after the 24...then I'll have some room in there. CROSS OUR FINGERS!! [​IMG]

9. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    [​IMG] ! If I had stopped at his place first, I would have offered them to you... I won't have room for them until I get my LG back!

10. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    If I was closer, I'd take them in a second! `Cause I need more birds, ya' know?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by