Oh No! What's Wrong?! Egg Production Down 50% !!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rapunzil, Jun 24, 2010.

1. rapunzil

rapunzil Songster

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    I was free ranging my flock but unfortunately lost 4 chickens and my 2 ducks to a fox. I was so aggravated that my boyfriend insisted he build a run for the coop. Well, let me say what he designed is SO AWESOME and plenty big enough for my flock of 20, plus room to add more birds.

So now I keep them in all day, except on weekends and after work I let them out until they go in to roost - about 4 hours. I'm so happy they are safe and sound, but now I'm getting half the number of eggs I used to. I'm worried because I sell the eggs to a gourmet store near me, and I'd really hate to lose the account.

Can anyone advise if my girls will start producing up-to-par again? They have been in the new run for 2 weeks now and no improvement.

Thanx!
    Cindy

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    How hot is it where you live?
    Many hens slow production when the weather is bad, whether it be too hot or too cold.

Also, they often stop laying while molting.

3. Our temps are in the mid to upper 90's everyday here and our laying has gone way way down.

Steve

4. rapunzil

rapunzil Songster

Sep 17, 2009
    Kendall Park, NJ
    Oh that is a very good point! Yes, it has been very hot and humid here over the last couple of weeks. Hopefully it will break soon!

5. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I've not seen an egg in about 3 days. I wish the heat would go away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by